VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, question is I have three 12volt LED strip lights in the van, each one is only about a foot long with about twenty LED lights in. The on/off switch is on the end of each one. They came in the van when I got it and worked on the 12 volt battery. I've since had a pop top fitted and the lights had to be disconnected. But I want to have them working again now but want to run them off the 240v hook up, not by the battery , so I require a transformer, but again not a great auto spark so could anybody give me some help on wether it would be worth the trouble or just go for 240v LEDs ?.
I was looking at the transformers in Maplins but the more I read up then more I get confused:* surely a 240/12 volt transformer could supply three without any problem.

·
Registered
418 Posts
The lights, if they ran off a battery before, will be 12v DC. The transformer (240/12) will produce 12v AC. You need a DC supply for the lights.

The usual camper arrangement is that you have a 240 AC battery charger, which charges your leisure battery, you then run your lights off the battery.

·
Registered
11,711 Posts
As above. Just run them of the leisure battery along with as much other kit like TV etc. yes have a few 240v sockets for other things wired up to your consumer unit for when on the hook up. But having a charger perminantly wired up to the hook up is advised as the leisure battery will need mains charging once in a while. And it will also power all your 12v kit when on hook up via the battery.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok thanks for replies guys. I have disconnected and removed the leisure battery because We don't do any wild camping so do everything on hook up.. So in that case I,ll go down the 240v led route. I found I just didn't use anything on 12volts.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks mate EXACTLY What im after and looking for. Just to run my 12v dc leds off the hook up 240v. Basically an ac/dc transformer.
Cheers A:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts