VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
happy new year to all T:

my 2nd gear on my duj code gearbox is doing my head in, from cold its a real pain to get into 2nd gear for the first five mins of driving, it will select when stationaryl engine running but as soon as you start driving its a nightmare like hitting a wall! i can double clutch to get it to enage while moving but it is a harsh change and crunchy. Ive checked the bushes on top of the box the one that sits in the metal N shape piece is new and the other feels good and not all perished. Ive cleaned and lubed the linkage and also adjusted the lever slightly. The 2nd gear syncro has also been replaced,and checked the pedal box for cracks none found, this is now REALLY doing my head in as im missing something but cant think as theres not alot else. please can anyone shed any light on this or suffering the same problem please help:confused:

·
Registered
648 Posts
2nd gear syncro is weak on all 02 VW boxes of this age. How long ago was the syncro ring replaced? A mechanic I know says it's not worth replacing odd parts in gearboxes as parts need to be perfectly matched up for good shift quality. It's not cheap to replace all the wearing internals though!

It might help to change the oil - it should be on 75W90 semi synth, preferably VW spec. Changing the oil can significantly improve shifting. Adding Slick 50 or similar to the oil can also help shift quality, although some have mixed views on such additives.

Hope you can improve it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi gills thanks for the reply, the box has been rebuilt with new bearings second gear syncro and a new fifth gear, its been in about two months now but it was doing this before the gearbox was rebuilt, I've changed the oil a couple of times with 75/90 but it hasn't helped might have to try some slic 50!!!

·
Registered
648 Posts
the box has been rebuilt with new bearings second gear syncro and a new fifth gear, its been in about two months now but it was doing this before the gearbox was rebuilt
You might find it improves with more miles. I had my gearbox rebuilt just over a year ago and even though the 1st/2nd selector had partially collapsed and needed replacing (with new rings & bearings), shifting into 2nd didn't improve dramatically. It has certainly improved, though, over the last 10k miles as the new internals have bedded in. Might not be what you wanted to hear, espcially if you don't do high miles!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
little update on my 2nd gear nightmare! had the gearbox back out and had the 2nd gear, syncros and hub replaced, while the box was out i removed and cleaned the gear lever selector and repplaced the bush the shaft goes in under the selector housing next to the fuel tank, also the bushes on the bearbox! put it all back together and bam exactly the same cant find second gear for the first few mins of driving!!!! I have adjusted the linkage a couple of times gears are good to select just from cold its like the gate dissapears when im driving, if stationary its there. Please Please Please can anyone point me in a direction i cant see what else i can do to solve this

·
Registered
221 Posts
I have had same problem and have decided to have a new box which im putting in tomorow i no its not much help to you but ive given up with the old box

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
zedadee01, i thought i was going mad as its an unusual problem. is it a recon box your putting in or brand new? how have you managed to pin point the box?? i can only really see it being inside as you can get 2nd when stationary engine running so a mesh problem, doesnt make sense as something is either bent but would have thought it would be bent constantly or something clears when it has a little heat so expanding, im guessing but im sure you know its frustrating!!!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hi got a recon box like you i have check and double checked all linkages bushes and i ican only see it being in the box and cus my misses drive it it will save me the gref i have two t4s so have checked one against the other and on the out side it all looks the same so may strip old box when taken out to see if thers anything that stands out good luck with yours

1 - 10 of 10 Posts