VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Dave up at Canon's Forge (RnR beds etc) mentioned that there were insurance companies that would give 3 months leeway to convert your van and still insure you under the hugely less expensive "camper van" insurance as opposed to commercial van insurance.

This is a problem for me as I can't afford the non-camper insurance but because of bed waiting lists etc i might not be able to insure under that until July, which is a nightmare for transport and summer plans!

Can anyone shed any light on this please? :)

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Yes flux used to do this- no idea if they still do. they insure van and then you have 3 months to finish it to minimum camper standard- bed,cooker,sink etc.

brentacre might as well

good luckT:

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

I was hoping to go with NIG but they don't offer this and the next best quote is in the 2k range so it isnt an option sadly!

·
Registered
609 Posts
Flux do this, but are outrageously expensive.
Try Sheild insurance. Still expensive, but nowhere near as bad as flux.
Flux were cheaper than Shield for me this year. Sheild's renewal quote was sky high. Some companies seem to suck you in for the first year then hope you stay; assuming you're too lazy to shop around.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
I have been with shield and flux and have missed both deadlines.

Basically they whack you down to 3rd party only until you stump up with a conversion which meets their criteria (6ft bed, windows, wardrobe, elec, gas etc etc)

TBH its a good idea but if you arent gonna bosh out a conversion in 3 months then you risk having issues

·
Literally, white van man
4,068 Posts
Just had a prospective quote with AF for a 102 panel van to be converted, £850!!! and to be complete within 6 months, then £250 as a camper, 8000 miles a year, 41 and 6 years NCB with nil points and the missis, 35 and 5 years NCB nil points, also had an agreed value of £14,000.
I'm hoping that WHEN I find the right base van it won't take that long and also to pay monthly, so when it's complete i can transfer to the cheaper quote!:confused:

Just got to find the right van, and get it done, and find a job:(

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Herts insurance and Flux got me by far the best quotes through NIG insurance company. pleased :) just need to get it converted now!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts