VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've brought a camper and the previous owner had a fridge in the van but has never wired it up, its a 3-way Dometic RM123 fridge.I know that you need to vent the fridge when you use it on gas but If I only plan to use it just on 12v / hook up and not on the gas setting, do I still need to fit vents?

Thank you

·
140 DSG Shuttle SE full Camper
2,318 Posts
I've brought a camper and the previous owner had a fridge in the van but has never wired it up, its a 3-way Dometic RM123 fridge.I know that you need to vent the fridge when you use it on gas but If I only plan to use it just on 12v / hook up and not on the gas setting, do I still need to fit vents?

Thank you
From what I remember from our caravanning days the gas exhaust is just a bit of the vent, it still gives off as much heat whatever mode it's running in that's why there's 2 vents, cool air in & hot air out from the heater unit.

·
Special Rapporteur
8,953 Posts
Agreed - even in 12V or 240V, the heat goes up a "chimney" which is designed to vent outside. It's not at all like a compressor fridge in that respect (which has a radiator at the back to dissipate hot air into the internal airspace).

Note that a typical 3-way fridge generates heat in order to create a temperature gradient, and the ability to get rid of that heat is critical. A compressor fridge does not (other than heat generated by friction in the compressor).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts