VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im going to attempt to wire up my LEDs this weekend. I have cut into the existing interior light loom and run 3 cables (12v live, perm earth & switched earth to the location i want to place my switch. I have got a 3 way, centre off switch from a motorhome shop and will be running these lights off the main battery. the switch will be run to a 12v regulator then on to the lights.

Will this diagram work? I have seen other diagrams on here but nothing for a 3 way switch. Cheers

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im trying to replicate the set up of the interior light. Keeping the standard interiors but extending the loom to allow me to control the leds in the same way as interior lights. Enlighten me please as to why it will not work then i can change my tactic!!

·
Registered
11,711 Posts
so you want the LEDs to come on with the door or a sperate switch or be off.

is the switch an on/on or an on/off/on?

power to the regulator and then have the switch to control the ground. to door switch or to ground or nowhere.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Im going to attempt to wire up my LEDs this weekend. I have cut into the existing interior light loom and run 3 cables (12v live, perm earth & switched earth to the location i want to place my switch. I have got a 3 way, centre off switch from a motorhome shop and will be running these lights off the main battery. the switch will be run to a 12v regulator then on to the lights.

Will this diagram work? I have seen other diagrams on here but nothing for a 3 way switch. Cheers

Can i ask were you got the box from for the 12v thingy and a link if you can

cheers

kev

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wasn't sure if the live and permanent/switched earth could all be controlled via the 3 way centre off switch prior to entering the 12volt regulator.

As far as i can see my switch will be in the following positions.

Centre - Off
position 1 - 12v & switched earth
position 2 - 12v & perm earth

Why would this not work?

I purchased the 12volt regulator from a site REUK its called 12v regulator with fuse and switch terminals - the box was included. Total cost £10ish delivered

·
Registered
11,711 Posts
I wasn't sure if the live and permanent/switched earth could all be controlled via the 3 way centre off switch prior to entering the 12volt regulator.

As far as i can see my switch will be in the following positions.

Centre - Off
position 1 - 12v & switched earth
position 2 - 12v & perm earth

Why would this not work?

I purchased the 12volt regulator from a site REUK its called 12v regulator with fuse and switch terminals - the box was included. Total cost £10ish delivered
you do not need any direct 12v feed to the switch.

your 12v (earth for the regulator) from the regulator connects to the middle terminal then door swith earth on one outer terminal and a direct earth on the other.

the lights in the van are earth switching. there is alway a perm. 12v supply to them.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great stuff!!! Cheers Nick... thats the bit that got me.. i had some crazy idea that all 3 loom wires had to go to the pins on the switch.

Operation crack on with the lights now :)

·
Registered
10,602 Posts
You have the wrong switch and it won't work. You need an on/off/on switch.

·
Registered
10,602 Posts
Not for long it wont. You are running the power for your lights through an LED inside the switch, eventually the current will cause the LED to fail and your switch will no longer work in that position.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looks like a revisit to my work.

This switch has no led on it so what led will fail?

The actual switch is a Large grey centre off rocker switch off ebay. Its marked on all 3 pins.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh i see what you mean, you assumed that 0 was an LED. It isn't. So it will work?

·
Registered
10,602 Posts
The markings on the switch in the photo and the way that it has been wired up in the diagram suggest that it's a single throw switch with an LED indicator in it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Updated diagram and switch location. Fitted the regulator securley in the rear pillar behind the plastic light cover easy access to service.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm trying to fit mine using the same method as this diagram but I'm confused, do I not need to connect an earth grounded to the van?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Any success? Its been a while since i did it and vehicle electrics is not the kind of information that i retain but it is was pretty simple to sus out at the time, there is no dark art to this stuff. If you need further help let me know and i ll dig the old stuff out.

There are no further earth connections after the diagram, i simply connected the existing 2 from the int light loom to the switch.

All works lovely still, no blown fuses or leds and whilst i ve been rolling with this set up i reckon 45 vauxhalls have set fire.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts