VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
I'm a bit stuck with this one.
I have a 2002 T4 and it's become difficult to get 3rd and almost impossible to select 5th, only if I push until the knob pretty much hits the dash and then push over to the left will it catch 5th...
I now have a very poorly shoulder so need to get it sorted, a friend said that it might be stretched cables, does this sound feesable?
I'm in Cambridge, does anyone know of a mechanic / garage that would be reasonably priced to look at this??
thanks

·
Registered
309 Posts
If the cables are in your shoulder then yes. Unfortunately the gear linkage is all rods and bearings. Ours is just as bad as yours sounds and is going in to my local go to guy on Friday. I'll come back and post up the outcome however wallet bending.

Pete

·
Registered
389 Posts
There's no cables, it's two bars , directly underneath the gear stick there's a couple of bolts you can adjust it them,
But it's a two man job, just loosening the bolts, setting the gear stick in the right position then re tightening, if this doesn't help
If you google vw t4 gear linkages there's a how to, because it could be them,

·
Registered
309 Posts
Van looked at yesterday, new linkage kit, short shift mod done on my behalf and master and slave cylinders checked ok. Clutch bearing is shot so it's gearbox out time. Can't fit me in till next Saturday so no van for a week so that's no surfing :( no trip to Wales next week :( and I'll have to find the R6 under all that stuff in the garage to get to work on T: as long as there's no ice lol.

The joys of older vehicles......

Pete

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's some really helpful info guys, thank you.
Can anyone recommend a short shift product?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Guys,

Just wanted to say that with a new set of bushes it's as good as new, thanks all for your input!

Cheers

1 - 12 of 12 Posts