VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So a few months ago I decided to get a T5.
Having owned my T4 for a number of years I decided it was time for a newer vehicle.

My previous build threads:
My LWB with unique interior
New look for my LBW

I looked about and found this:

It ticked all our boxes; air con, electric pack, LWB, barn doors.

First job was remove the bulkhead and take out the old ply lining. The floor need a bit of a clean.
Before:

After many hours work:

The plan was to keep using our existing T4 whilst the new T5 was converted. 2 days before we were due to go on holiday we had a problem with the T4 which meant taking the unconverted T5 with us. Our dog Tilly didn't seem that bothered:

Eventually, I got it to phase 1. Insulation, lining, windows, carpet, leisure battery and california rails:

In my previous builds I've always done as much as I could myself. On this project, however time was against me, plus I really wanted a professional finish. Andrew at Vehilce Installions (http://www.vehicleinstallations.com) did the Windows, electrics, lining and fitted the rails for me. When I got the van back I did the floor, curtains, and fitted the step.

I was really pleased with the result.

Phase 2 was Hi-lo roof and Evomotion units.

Pictures to follow soon........

·
Premium Member
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nice looking bus, will be nice to see how it develops

I was hoping to go with the hilo with the the evo units but had heard that the evo units were too tall with the hilo
had you heard this?
The Evo units will fit they just need a bit of adjusting.

I'll post some pics of mine fitted.

·
Premium Member
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Pics of my new Evo units fitted. I've gone for the sink, Wallas hob/heater and top entry fridge.

Due to the raised floor the units did need a bit of adjusting to fit but they look amazing.

And my Hilo roof - look at that head room!!!!

Got a few more jobs to finish off but it's well on its way.

Comments appreciated. :)

·
Premium Member
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Couple more jobs done:

Passat courtesy light upgrade:

Dubflecta sleek wind deflectors:

And as I'm fond of a brew when I'm away in the van, my wife made me a tea cosy for my camping teapot:

Jobs for this weekend include fitting my new head unit and making a rear shelf / bed section.

Also thanks to user Wasson for his inspiring build thread (http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=442143) and help with my bed rail questions early on in my build - good luck with your gear box Scott.

·
Premium Member
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)

Nice quick easy job this morning. New Gallant TV bracket fitted:

My wife has decided that she'd rather use our little hatch back for her daily drive and me use the T5 :D
What a shame, I'll now have to use my pride and joy every day. This means the remap could be needed sooner rather than later as I do clock up a fair few miles each week - still never mind hey!!! I::D

·
Premium Member
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)

I did get the head unit installed last week but ran out of daylight to take photos due to little wiring problem, but thanks to Jason aka Absolut5 it was sorted.
I wasn't looking to spend a fortune on my sounds so Jason suggested a Kenwood DPX 406DAB. What a great unit for the money. I can plug my iPhone straight in and play some of my old skool CD's. The DAB is great too, I didn't know so many digital radio stations existed. And the icing on the cake - you can decide what colour the display is - my son decided on purple A:

Today I picked up a mat to go in the back:

And one of these:

It's a re-usable condensation absorber. I've had a cheap one in the back since the units went in and it's filled up in 2 months :eek:. So I thought I'd try one of these as it looks a bit neater and I'd rather not have all that moisture sitting in the van making things damp.
I'll let you know how well it works.

·
Premium Member
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)

And I finally got my bed section/parcel shelf made:

The fabric may not be the final finish but I needed something to cover the foam.
The wooden frame will be replaced by metal legs which will bolt to the rails when I get round to making them but for now this gives me a full length working bed:

I've been looking at the front end and decided it needs something. I'm considering a carbon splitter but I'm not sure on what will easily fit this standard front bumper.
Any suggestions would be appreciated. T:

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
It's a re-usable condensation absorber. I've had a cheap one in the back since the units went in and it's filled up in 2 months :eek:. So I thought I'd try one of these as it looks a bit neater and I'd rather not have all that moisture sitting in the van making things damp.
I'll let you know how well it works.
Hi, nice job so far...where did you get that condensation absorber from?

·
Want Electrics? Go Wildebus!
8,047 Posts
Here you go. http://www.lakeland.co.uk/24575/Dashboard-Dehumidifier

Worth a go for £5 in my opinion.
My car windscreen needed constant dryng on the inside in the mornings due to condensation and I bought a similar product from Halfords and make a tremendous difference.
Noticed the problem had returned and when I checked, the dehumdifying pack was totally soaked, so clearly was having an effect T:
Brought in to dry out on radiatior and I bought another twin-pack from Amazon. Went for quite a neat setup with a pair of 900g packs, each divided into 3 x 300g compartments which can be cut and seperated to place stragegically around a vehicle. Reckon that could be ideal for a camper A:
This is the one I went for ... http://www.amazon.co.uk/Thomar-AirDry-604100-Car-Dehumidifier/dp/B00K690W9Y/ref=pd_sim_sbs_263_4?ie=UTF8&dpID=41j1EPM8x9L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160,160_&refRID=0V3CSB01VGPJH0QS15R8
"The Air dry twin pack of dehumidifiers has been designed for use in vehicles. It has been designed to absorb the moisture from the air using the activated pellets inside the bag. The pack consists of 2 bags which are divided into 3 sections of 300g each that can be cut and separated. This allows you to use one of the 300g sections whilst the other is being regenerated. Each dehumidifier can be reactivated by placing on top of a radiator and dried over several days."

·
Premium Member
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Managed to get a few jobs done today.
Front badge has been given a coat of satin black (I'm not keen on chrome with silver).
Rear badge has been done the same but ran out of daylight to take the picture but it's basically a VW badge painted black I: :

Fitted an extra led light in the back to illuminate the boot area.
Will also be a handy reading light when the bed is set up:

And I fitted an extra table rail to give us a bit more flexibility for its location:

Still looking for ideas for my front.....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Looking great there mate! did you fit the windows yourself? Looking at adding one in the side door on mine. THANKS!

·
Premium Member
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looking great there mate! did you fit the windows yourself? Looking at adding one in the side door on mine. THANKS!
Thank you.
No I'm afraid I'm not as brave as some people on here. I got them fitted by the same company that did my hook-up and carpet lining. I must say the finish was excellent and I shopped around for prices and they were very competitive.

Good luck with yours. T:

·
Registered
9 Posts
I might have a go, Have you got a tin opener I could borrow? How much did you pay for the windows if you dont mind me asking? Im only looking at one in the sliding door.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts