VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi There,

Are there any 4motion owners out there who would like to share their wisdom on their vehicles ability as an off roader.
At the moment I am the proud owner of a T5 130 Kombi, love it to bits. However my work involves carrying out surveys in woodlands, I only drive on forest tracks and never truly off road, the Kombi manages Ok, but come winter when the tracks are more tricky I doubt she will handle it quite so well. I accept that 4WD vehicle is the way I need to go but also love the flexibility a van gives me (sleep in the back, bikes, dog etc) that a conventional 4WD does not offer.
What I am really asking is, do you think the 4M will cut the mustard (with the right tyres of course) or is it just an expensive gimmick? :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have just read through some of the older posts & stumbled across TonyG44's posts about his time in Morocco. I was wondering if he was still around or if anybody else had a similar experience with the 4motion?

Regards,

Mark

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hi,
I have owned three 4-motion's and two Syncro's, the older Syncro's had the advantage of front diff lock as well as the rear and would go anywhere a land rover would go, the only disadvantage was the axle travel on the VW.

I have also had many land rover's but the comfort, performance and economy is far superior in the VW's.

Most 4WD vehicle only ever have 2 wheels driving at any one time, this is once the center diff lock is engaged, the 4 motion will give you three wheels driving as you can lock the rear axle so both rear wheels will drive together and one front, depending which one is slipping.

I now own a 180bhp 4-motion DSG and love it, it will tackle most slippery condition's with the right tyres. The only problem i have ever had is when all wheels have sank in deep mud and the vehicle is resting on it's belly and no grip is available for the tyres, i.e they are basically floating in the air, that said all vehicle's would be in the same boat.

Hope this gives you a little advice.

All the best

John

·
Registered
232 Posts
the 4motion will easily cope with your needs,i have had both syncro t4 and t5 4motion and used them for similar things as yourself...never been stuck yet but remember its not a land rover..enjoy

·
Registered
156 Posts
I know tony g44 and for the last couple of years we travelled around morocco together.
I was in my discovery and was totally amazed at what a standard 4 motion can do. The only thing he changed are the tyres to some bfg all terrians.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a 2005 (55 reg) 4 motion Transporter with rear diff lock (bought 2nd hand in 2008). I previously had a 1998 VW T4 Synchro.

Its pretty good as a 4WD van but the 4motion system in general is poor compared to my wife's subaru forester. I have found it hard to find specific details of the 4motion system to find out why.
However its a great deal better than a std 2wd Transporter but its not intended to be a competitor for a serious off roader.

In summary after 2 years of using it on snowy hilly roads and hilly loose surface roads my biggest complaints about it are:
1. The front wheels are alwys driving much harder than the rear wheels (with or without diff lock). You can both see and feel it. I can only conclude the Haldex coupling or viscous coupling (still don't know for sure which one mine has) always has a significant amount of slip. This makes it very prone to polishing snow into ice under the wheels with most spin.
2. There is no form of limited slip across the front diff. My van regularly gets stuck with one front wheel spinning while the other is stationary, and both rear wheels spinning. Which front wheel spins depend on which one has most grip at the time (fairly obviously).

For info I have Goodyear ATR M&S tyres on all four wheels.

Bottom line, if you need a proper van with some extra traction for slippery going (rather than some form of 4x4 "van" like a LR Defender or Isuzu Trooper), then I haven't
found anything better (despite my grumbles).

·
Registered
927 Posts
Just a quick addendum to this. The T5GP's now have the latest gen 4Motion (4th Gen) which has electronic front diff locks and manual rear diff locks (as an option).

Will be doing some off-roading in mine soon so will report my views.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Do they not have 4 wheel traction control like on my Freelander? That would really help on all surfaces.

You could always trick the diffs by applying light braking while they are spinning.

·
Registered
39 Posts
VW claim there is an "Electronic Diff Lock" (EDL) on the front, but as far as I can tell, this amounts to traction control ie the braking system is used to stop a splinning wheel. I am not sure that there is any electronic lock in the diff itself ?

Although there is a mechancial diff lock on the back, I wonder if this is instead of or as well as the usual traction control? I couldn't tell you from my experience.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I thought the new vans (2012 onwards) were 5th gen Haldex?

To the guy with the older Haldex (2005) I think your wheels have to slip quarter of a turn before the Haldex engages the rear axle where as the later Haldex does it in milliseconds this makes a massive difference in my experience.

I've got to be honest mine (2012) has amazed me on a lot of occasions when I'm working on farms it just barges through all the soft stuff.T:

Down side is, remember it is only a van and alls good apart from rear end clearance......

·
Registered
166 Posts
Oh forgot to mention EDL is a waste of time. By the time that has activated you will already be on your belly LOL:

latest gen is the way to go it hardly ever needs to activate.

·
Registered
927 Posts
VW claim there is an "Electronic Diff Lock" (EDL) on the front, but as far as I can tell, this amounts to traction control ie the braking system is used to stop a splinning wheel. I am not sure that there is any electronic lock in the diff itself ?

Although there is a mechancial diff lock on the back, I wonder if this is instead of or as well as the usual traction control? I couldn't tell you from my experience.
It does have an LSD on the front, but it is electronic.

Do they not have 4 wheel traction control like on my Freelander? That would really help on all surfaces.

You could always trick the diffs by applying light braking while they are spinning.
The freelander uses the previous gen of haldex to the T5 (version 3 to version 4) and it does have 4 wheel traction control. Lots of people say it isn't an off roader like a Freelander, but it actually has a more sophisticated off road system! If the Freelander is a proper 4be4, so is the T5!

I thought the new vans (2012 onwards) were 5th gen Haldex?

To the guy with the older Haldex (2005) I think your wheels have to slip quarter of a turn before the Haldex engages the rear axle where as the later Haldex does it in milliseconds this makes a massive difference in my experience.

I've got to be honest mine (2012) has amazed me on a lot of occasions when I'm working on farms it just barges through all the soft stuff.T:

Down side is, remember it is only a van and alls good apart from rear end clearance......
5th Gen Haldex is for the new Modular chassis so isn't fitted to the T5, which still runs 4th gen with improved software.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts