VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there
looking to buy a 06 4motion t5 are they any good in the snow or in a muddy field
can you lock the rear diff
just sold my t4 syncro and never had any probs in the mud pulling a trailer with my bikes on
any body help me on this as i do not want to get the wrong van

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi have a 55 plate 4motion and its great. Loved landrovers but doing 25k miles a year and they start to feel their age. 4motion drives just like any other transporter then when you get to the mud and snow!!!!! press the diff lock and away you go. Not got it stuck yet and it's still on road tyres and yes it does get used for work in muddy fields. Best thing it looks like every other white van and people look and wonder how it's getting around like that in the snow. Get one you won't be disapointed T:

·
Registered
50 Posts
mines a 55 plate $motion - debadged, so the numpties wonder how a 'van' doesn't get stuck

its great in the snow/muck - we've had 6+inches and no problems, if you get stuck punch the diff lock and away you go

also pull out of corners without and front wheel scrabbling

R

·
Registered
436 Posts
Hi Gang

I have 2008 4motion from new with Continental Cross Contact M&S tyres that work a treat.
I have towed mini diggers and other bits of kit through fields etc with no worries.
The front diff locks automatically and the rear diff lock is manual.
As long as you remember its not a hardcore off roader with loads of ground clearance, but you'll be doing something really daft to get it stuck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi, I'd like to follow up Jersey Paul's comments about auto-locking front diff on his 2008 T5 please.

Paul,
can you tell me when 4motion T5's started having front locking diffs pls? This would help me greatly with my main complaint about my 2005 T5 which is regularly outperformed by my wife's Subaru Forester in the snow. (see my comments under "4motion credentials")

Secondly, does the Haldex or Viscous coupling between the front and rear axles have tightly limited slip on your vehicle? (I don't know whether its a Haldex coupling or a viscous coupling). My 2005 vehicle drives the front axle much more than the rear. I'm not sure whether my coupling is controlled by a torque-split or a speed-difference, but it certainly has lots of slip?

Thanks, Barry.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Hello
In my brochure it says the front diff has EDL elctronic differential lock.
Most recent AUdi / VW's have this - not sure exactly how good it is.
Utilises the ABS sensors and breaks where required.

The rear diff is controlled by the Hladex unit and is mechanical I think.
Vacum is used to engage a clutch/pressure plate at the rear diff.
Again the ABS sensors are used to detect and in turn break wheels where required.
Not a massive expert.

I know the Scooby has symetrical AWD which I think is more like the Torsen centre differential quattro models.

·
Registered
19 Posts
hello
in my brochure it says the front diff has edl elctronic differential lock.
Most recent audi / vw's have this - not sure exactly how good it is.
Utilises the abs sensors and breaks where required.

The rear diff is controlled by the hladex unit and is mechanical i think.
Again the abs sensors are used to detect and in turn break wheels where required.
Not a massive expert.

I know the scooby has symetrical awd which i think is more like the torsen centre differential quattro models.
:d :d :d :d :d :d :d

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello
In my brochure it says the front diff has EDL elctronic differential lock.
Most recent AUdi / VW's have this - not sure exactly how good it is.
Utilises the ABS sensors and breaks where required.

The rear diff is controlled by the Hladex unit and is mechanical I think.
Again the ABS sensors are used to detect and in turn break wheels where required.
Not a massive expert.

I know the Scooby has symetrical AWD which I think is more like the Torsen centre differential quattro models.
Looking through these posts again and just realised I never thanked Paul for this info so, Thanks Paul.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there
looking to buy a 06 4motion t5 are they any good in the snow or in a muddy field
can you lock the rear diff
just sold my t4 syncro and never had any probs in the mud pulling a trailer with my bikes on
any body help me on this as i do not want to get the wrong van
just got my 4 motion dsg. i went shooting and parked at the bottom of a muddy field. I mean muddy. the rain came with already wet ground. the dub tok 3 attempts to get through gateway but it is pimped and to be honest i was amazed at its capabilities. my landy 90 would of failed. the key is the diff lock. yes it wont do big stuff due to size but mud etc its my top choice. the farmer lost 50 quid betting i would not get through gate and up bank. i took the wet when i stopped to pick up my kit on bank

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.