VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I was using my company van, an 08 plate transporter TDI 4motion to its full potential, but when we got back to the public road the rear diff lock failed to disengage. We tried several times starting and stopping, reversing, etc but the light on the dash wouldn’t go out. After 20 minutes of playing the light eventually went off and we headed home... The last thing we want after a long day on site is a 20mph drive home. Anyone got any ideas what might be wrong?

·
Registered
436 Posts
Hi.
Not had that before but there is a delay sometimes from when you press the button and the lock dissengaging.
This delay is not always the same amount of time.
I usually drive to allow the diff to unlock rather than stop / starting switching on and off.
Not mega familiar with exactly how the mechanism is arranged.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Had a similar problem but switched the ignition off and then restarted it did the trick. May help you. Just don't think diff lock on mine got used by previous owner very often. Good luck !!T:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Last night I was using my company van, an 08 plate transporter TDI 4motion to its full potential, but when we got back to the public road the rear diff lock failed to disengage. We tried several times starting and stopping, reversing, etc but the light on the dash wouldn’t go out. After 20 minutes of playing the light eventually went off and we headed home... The last thing we want after a long day on site is a 20mph drive home. Anyone got any ideas what might be wrong?

Mine often does this too, particulary prone to it in icy weather. Doesn't seem to happen in this milder weather. I usually find that it disengages after a few minutes, sometimes as long as ten mins. This makes me wonder whether there's any partially frozen condensation in either the vacuum solenoid or vac pipes???? Maybe I shouldn't say this, but I tend to drive faster than 20mph as long as the road is reasonably straight. Just need to remember to slow down and be careful on the corners, although the manic squeaker helps you remember.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts