VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can anyone tell me if the head design between the 2.5 petrol and 2.5 diesel differ much, as i am wanting to turbo my petrol 2.5, and was thinking maybe the exhaust mani gasket pattern was similar? if it is, then it would be a fairly easy swap, bring on 200hp using a haltec computer and goodies.

thanks for any info that you have

Dave

·
Registered
682 Posts
Holy mother of god will somebody answer the man cos I would love to know if this is possible!!! Isn't the 2.5 petrol similar to the old Audi Quattro engine in some way and did that engine ever have a turbo?

Are you running a manual or an autobox?

·
Registered
486 Posts
Its based on the old audi 5 pot motors yes, but I dont know enough about them to know how similar they are. Eg the audi motors were usually 2.3 so the bores may be different sizes. In theory the block should be similar so you could use the complete turbo motor out of a quattro turbo.

Sorry, dont know about the similarities between petrol and diesel. Although if you were going to run some decent boost through the turbo (>5psi) you would need some way to reduce the compression anyway.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for replying, been checking thread twice a day lol. running a manual, only want to run lowish boost, around 4-5 psi, maybe run 2 headgaskets. would love to run the boost my old nissan silvia ran - 25psi. bwaa haha. it would be impossible to drive lol. looks like i may have to pull mani off for an exhaust leak, maybe a hunt round the wreckers is in order.
thanks again, any more info would be awsome.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Thinking about it now, have you thought about supercharging? It might be more suited to the van as it should keep your torque a bit lower down the rev range. In the UK at the moment theres a big supply of cheap Eaton M45's because everyone is upgrading the blower on their Mini Coopers!

Although as long as you're not planning on going silly with the boost you should be ok with a turbo. If you use 2 head gaskets make sure they are steel ones!

If you can get a manifold to fit the turbo and a nice standalone ECU setup it could be a good project. Keep us informed :)

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
I guess a 10v audi turbo set up would be ok, the 20v were crossflow heads so would take a bit more fettling, at least there's a bit of room in there. A supercharger would be more fun and give a better noise, mini one's go on ebay for £100-£150.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts