VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
RIP
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for some good pictures of a petrol t4 engine bay with the 5 cylinder engine, or if reasonably local Id love to come over and take a shufty.

The plan to swap the 2.litre engine to a 5 cylinder is underway, looking at the standard fitment will help get my ehad around it properly.

Im in Hertfordshire, but willing to travel. If you have th echance to do photos instead Id be forever in your dept. After the bank that is....H:

·
Registered
521 Posts
What is the conversion going to involve ?

p.s Stridey,I have finished the pas project,she steers like a dream !
Just looking for a smaller wheel now...

·
Registered
339 Posts
Got a 1996 2.5 5cyl petrol.

You're more than welcome to have a look - mind you, I'm right down by the South Coast in Sunny ol' Sussex.

I'll take some photos tomorrow - will save your petrol!

·
RIP
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wonderful! And thanks! Photos of the top of the engine, particulalry the area near the exhaust manifold (difficult) and the clutch would be handy.

Glad you got the PAS done trident! The non power steerting wheels are MAHOOOOSIVE!!! I have a lift of system and a 'personal' wheel now.

I may have to take up any offer of a trip to Worthing Centaur as I have chums there and used to live down in Middleton-On-Sea...mmmm fish and chips. And I may have to order some new stuff so going to the brealker in Arundel an dthe VW van cntre north of Brighton may be on the cards.

I have a 2 litre in at the the mo, and I have a quandry. I bought an excellent Audi 90 with the 10v 5 cylinder engine which runs like a dream, but is worth far far more to me as an engine donor than an under valued slightly tatty runner.

I also have a 2 litre engine ready to drop straight in.

What we mulled about today at the yard , moving a few vehicles around to create indoor space in the barn was how to tackle it.

What we plan to do is this:

1) Remove kaput 2.l engine from T4.T:
2) Remove working 5cyl engine from the Audi 90 and strip the loom down to basics. T:
3) Sell the Audi 90 bits on fleabay and then scrap the leftovers.:ILU:
4) Take a long hard look at what bits we may need to fit the 5 cylinder. This at first glance means a new or sourced from a scrappy exhaust manifold and possibly other bits in that area. The Audi 90 seems to use a fair bit of space where the bulkhead is on the T4 so space may be an issue.
It looks like the engine will bolt to the clutch easily. ...fingers crossed.:eek:

5) Sit down and wish we'd just dropped the simple 2 litre petrol replacement in....:eek:
6) Smile broadly as I thunder down the road in a 135bhp perol engined beauty......mmmmm power.:D:D:D Noise:D:D:D
7) Drive to Gasure to have the LPG ancilleries changed to 5 cyl spec.....T:
8) Mothball the 2 litre engine or more likely flog it on to a forum member.T:

and 9)

Look out for an Audi 200 and dump THAT engine in next year!Rasp:Rasp:

(missed out upgrading brakes!)

Already found that insurance doenst go up...wheey hey.....!!!

·
Registered
521 Posts
Nah dont put the silly little 2.0 4 pot in.

I already have my eye on that, I wonder what head would fit it better..

I would have thought that engine mounts and exhaust downpipe will be the major games for your 5 pot swap...

·
RIP
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am led to believe the engine mounts arnt a problem , should be interesting..What we may do is have a really good look around once the engines are out. Its a toss up between binging in the 2 litre and running that while I source the other bits for the 5 cylinder.
Thanks for the links.

·
Premium Member
10,679 Posts
michael - i can't believe you stood around at the **** end of mine with the engine running at the ace last time and didn't say anything!! i'd have popped the bonnet for you if you'd asked LOL:

anywhoo...next time - fill yetr boots, take as many pics as you want T:

·
RIP
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank You all so much!

Exactly what the forum is for I guess. Looks like I need to source a used or investigate a custom manifold.

Again, thanks to everyone. Most kind.
Michael

1 - 15 of 15 Posts