VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just reassembled my exhaust and intake manifold after parts finally arrived. Putting the bolts back in the manifold was a pain, which I'd read about, but not the worse job I've done on the van.

It got me wondering what's been the worst, Haynes 5 spanner rated job you've done on your van?

For me, I've done lots of jobs on the van. Timing belts, suspension bits, intake manifold removal and cleaning, oil cooler and bracket removal but it'd have to be the sump gasket. I've done it 3 or 4 times now because of a leaking gasket (trust me here, use a VW one, not aftermarket or instant gasket) and then a leaking oil pump gasket. What an absolute ball ache it is. Different fasteners hidden everywhere. The cap headed bolts rounding off, same bolts at jaunty angles needing a wobbly fit allen key that then also rounds the heads out. The "hidden" bolts through the flywheel. Even removing it is bloody tight and fiddly. A definite 5 spanner job.

I've not tackled a clutch or gearbox removal because of the weight of the thing and my sloped driveway. I can see a huge bloodied smear mark down the drive if I tried.

So come on. What's been your 5 spanner job?

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
I've spent over 48 years in the motor industry, and can only hold and work with one spanner in each hand ........................ who the hell can work with 5; an octopus :*:*:*:*:*

·
Want Electrics? Go Wildebus!
8,233 Posts
I've just reassembled my exhaust and intake manifold after parts finally arrived. Putting the bolts back in the manifold was a pain, which I'd read about, but not the worse job I've done on the van.

It got me wondering what's been the worst, Haynes 5 spanner rated job you've done on your van?

For me, I've done lots of jobs on the van. Timing belts, suspension bits, intake manifold removal and cleaning, oil cooler and bracket removal but it'd have to be the sump gasket. I've done it 3 or 4 times now because of a leaking gasket (trust me here, use a VW one, not aftermarket or instant gasket) and then a leaking oil pump gasket. What an absolute ball ache it is. Different fasteners hidden everywhere. The cap headed bolts rounding off, same bolts at jaunty angles needing a wobbly fit allen key that then also rounds the heads out. The "hidden" bolts through the flywheel. Even removing it is bloody tight and fiddly. A definite 5 spanner job.

I've not tackled a clutch or gearbox removal because of the weight of the thing and my sloped driveway. I can see a huge bloodied smear mark down the drive if I tried.

So come on. What's been your 5 spanner job?
You've done more complex stuff then me when it comes to original mechanicals. I would be loathe to do a Timing Belt, not least for the consquences if not getting it spot on. But having said that, I don't worry about working on the brakes :*
Probably it would be brakes for me (first stripdown being on the side of the road when I lived in Westminster, cleaned the pistons with wet & dry and used the oven to dry parts while having a few pints down the student bar. Maybe it was a 5 Pint job rather then a 5 Spanner one? :D )

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Scruffy, you mention working with 5 hands. At one point today I had one arm round the right hand side of the engine, one round the left meeting the right and was wedging a mirror on a stick in position with my forehead and was standing on my car creeper to ease the strain on my knees from standing on my toes and leaning forwards. :)

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
Scruffy, you mention working with 5 hands. At one point today I had one arm round the right hand side of the engine, one round the left meeting the right and was wedging a mirror on a stick in position with my forehead and was standing on my car creeper to ease the strain on my knees from standing on my toes and leaning forwards. :)
Ah I see it's not an octopus you need to be, it's a contortionist LOL:LOL:

Put me out of my misery what on earth is a 5 spanner rated job :confused:

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Haynes manual rates jobs in spanner ratings. 1 being easy, 5 being being expert or legendary in some case.
You're right about the contortionist bit.

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
Haynes manual rates jobs in spanner ratings. 1 being easy, 5 being being expert or legendary in some case.
You're right about the contortionist bit.
I like to learn something new each day .................... that was today's lesson thanks A:

I used to sell them in my shop back in the 70's; never ever really looked closely at one though.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Dead thread revival but the one I’d add to this list is sorting out squeaky rnr beds.

I’ve just passed the furniture polish on every possible contact point stage and tried the tightening nuts and bolts.

currently dreading the only possible solution which seems to be to totally remove fully clean down, ptfe spray and reinstall.

·
Registered
542 Posts
PITA or plain Hard work? I would agree with the OP on the inlet manifold of a 2.5TDI T4 for PITA - For just pure and simple hard labour - Rear wheel bearing on a T4 - took 8000kg on the press and repetative heat till glowing with a torch and beat with sledge hammer for 2.5 hours (2 of us taking turns with the hammer) - compared to that, clutch and flywheel on a T5 on a gravel drive with a trolley jack was easy!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts