VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Now then...after some advice and just interested in peoples opinions and thoughts, but don't worry...it's got nothing to do with the film! I:

Long story short...had a fight with a high curb and lost and now need to replace the sliding door on the van and get it resprayed.

Got myself a door from Bevan on here, who as it turns out sorted me out with a cambelt and water pump changed too T:

Deciding to kill a few birds with one stone and get the arches and sills and the roof sorted whilst the van is in the body shop, and this leads me to my question...

I'm thinking of going two tone with the van and having the lower third of the van a different colour and the roof and A pillars done to match the colour on the bottom. Now I think that a shade of grey would work better on the van against the green rather than going stain black...

Have done a bit of searching on here and really like the look of the van below (know the orange stripe isn't there any more, but something like this would be spot on)

Really interested in hearing peoples thoughts on this and whether they think a darker shade or a lighter shade of grey would work best.

I like the idea of an orange stripe between the two colour as it will tie the outside of the van in nicely with the orange RnR bed in the back.

So...what do we think?

Some shots of my van so you can try and picture it, or if anyone who's handy with photoshop is out there and has a spare 5 mins T:I:

Oh and my bad, but can't remember the name of the guy who's van I've used as an example...but cheers anyway for the inspiration.

Cheers all
Jac :ILU:

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Now then...after some advice and just interested in peoples opinions and thoughts, but don't worry...it's got nothing to do with the film! I:

Long story short...had a fight with a high curb and lost and now need to replace the sliding door on the van and get it resprayed.

Got myself a door from Bevan on here, who as it turns out sorted me out with a cambelt and water pump changed too T:

Deciding to kill a few birds with one stone and get the arches and sills and the roof sorted whilst the van is in the body shop, and this leads me to my question...

I'm thinking of going two tone with the van and having the lower third of the van a different colour and the roof and A pillars done to match the colour on the bottom. Now I think that a shade of grey would work better on the van against the green rather than going stain black...

Have done a bit of searching on here and really like the look of the van below (know the orange stripe isn't there any more, but something like this would be spot on)

Really interested in hearing peoples thoughts on this and whether they think a darker shade or a lighter shade of grey would work best.

I like the idea of an orange stripe between the two colour as it will tie the outside of the van in nicely with the orange RnR bed in the back.

So...what do we think?

Some shots of my van so you can try and picture it, or if anyone who's handy with photoshop is out there and has a spare 5 mins T:I:

Oh and my bad, but can't remember the name of the guy who's van I've used as an example...but cheers anyway for the inspiration.

Cheers all
T4Chippy is your man for PS skills I'd say. Hint Hint. hahaha

The difficult part is that when it comes to two tone, you find that the bottom colour is the darkest to set the lighter upper level usually.
You'd then also need to do the Bumpers to match it in my opinion. It would look to complicated with them being a different colour to the lower section.

If it was my choice, and this is only my opinion and taste (you go with whatever you like buddy), I would actually keep the lower 1/3, roof and A pillars the Dark green colour you have and do the upper side panels and bonnet the lighter colour. The same as the reference picture you've posted.

It would be like this if you then coloured the lower 3rd of the van the purple on the roof.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice so far guys, all really appreciated and some great looking vans there too!

I really like the shade of green on the van but am just trying to do something a bit different with it..

I know what you're saying about the darker colour being on the bottom 3rd to then bring out the colour above, but want the green to be the main colour on the van and just have something to complement it on the lower half and on the roof...so maybe it's a dark shade of grey I go for...

Plush, working to a pretty tight budget...Its difficult to know what to do for best because like the guys in the paint shops have said to me so far, if I'm spending x amount doing the lower 3rd and the roof, why not go the whole hog and do the lot!...

Keep the ideas and suggestions coming, all really appreciated :ILU:

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
That's the drama mate, You're going to spend around £2-2.5K doing a full respray in any decent spray shop. If you get quoted cheaper, there's a high chance that the shop won't be doing a full respray IE- leaving the inter doorsills areas etc...
Is it an metallic finish on the van? if it isn't, get the door done and touch up any area's that need the attention and then get the bumpers done. it'll be a damn sight cheaper. She's looking pretty tidy in the photos so If you like the colour, why change it?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's the drama mate, You're going to spend around £2-2.5K doing a full respray in any decent spray shop. If you get quoted cheaper, there's a high chance that the shop won't be doing a full respray IE- leaving the inter doorsills areas etc...
Is it an metallic finish on the van? if it isn't, get the door done and touch up any area's that need the attention and then get the bumpers done. it'll be a damn sight cheaper. She's looking pretty tidy in the photos so If you like the colour, why change it?
It's a dark metallic green mate, think it's dragon green but not 100%.

When I went to the local bodyshop, I was quoted £600 for them to respray the door inside and out, sort the arches and sills out and to respray the lower 3rd and roof satin black (take it it would be a similar price for the grey option if I wnt down that route)

·
Registered
181 Posts
i personally like the colour of your van, and i think the photos showing the tinted windows really goes well with the green.
Have you got access to photoshop?
if not ask very nicely for someone on here to do a couple of colour changes using your photo.
my personal choice would be high gloss black not satin with that green, as said above the window colour looks really well against it.
Gazmataz mentioned about the upper part being lighter, which i would agree with, and like chippy's van you could just do the roof bonnet and slam panel.
How about a really light metallic Pearl colour? something different

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i personally like the colour of your van, and i think the photos showing the tinted windows really goes well with the green.
Have you got access to photoshop?
if not ask very nicely for someone on here to do a couple of colour changes using your photo.
my personal choice would be high gloss black not satin with that green, as said above the window colour looks really well against it.
Gazmataz mentioned about the upper part being lighter, which i would agree with, and like chippy's van you could just do the roof bonnet and slam panel.
How about a really light metallic Pearl colour? something different
Haven't got photoshop myself, but hopefully someone on here might have a spare 5 mins to do a quick colour change for me. I like what you said about a colour match to the same colour as the window tints for the lower 3rd including the bumpers.

This is the front running idea at the mo because like what's been said above, the darker lower 3rd (in this case black) would bring out the green a bit more. Decisions decisions decisions!

Cheers for the input so far guys

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
so, how's the thought process going Jac???

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Looking at the three, I retract my previous statement about the darkest at the bottom etc. I actually quite like the light grey version. Not too keen on the Red stripe dividing the two tone though if I'm honest. Maybe a Darker sharper red would work.

Pictures 2 - 3 - 1 for me personally.

Get those Steel wheels banded and coloured to match your Green and that would look amazing.

·
Premium Member
871 Posts
Sharkbait, thanks sooooooo much for doing these. They're awesome and a great help T:

Think the dark grey is winning at the mo, with the black a close 2nd.

I'd go grey on the bumpers too methinks.

Thanks again T:
Personally I like the black one, however, everybody does black (me included), the dark grey one is that little bit different and works quite well. I meant to grey the bumpers before, here's the grey one with the bumpers matching...

Also without stripe, which I think looks better...

Let me know if you want to see any other variation, now it's set up, quite easy to change.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks again Sharkbait, really appreciate it. Thanks for the other comments too, wheels are on the list...thinking of banding them and getting some whitewalls on there too T:

Last request Sharkbait, could you do a couple of blue variations for me? one light (like a dove blue) and one dark navy blue please.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
871 Posts
Thanks again Sharkbait, really appreciate it. Thanks for the other comments too, wheels are on the list...thinking of banding them and getting some whitewalls on there too T:

Last request Sharkbait, could you do a couple of blue variations for me? one light (like a dove blue) and one dark navy blue please.

Cheers
A little difficult to get the accurate colour but hopefully these will not be far off...

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Personally I like the black one, however, everybody does black (me included), the dark grey one is that little bit different and works quite well. I meant to grey the bumpers before, here's the grey one with the bumpers matching...

Also without stripe, which I think looks better...

Let me know if you want to see any other variation, now it's set up, quite easy to change.
Now that's an improvement without the stripe and with the bumpers also done.

I prefer grey over blue there buddy but as I've always said, go with what you like and be different.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Hey, remember, whatever yo choose is the right choice for you mate. Glad to be of assistance in anyway possible.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts