VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all, its about time the van got the attention it desirves im a builder and i've been using the van for work for around 3 years and attending all the shows with her to. Finally got sick and tired of living with a very basic conversion and removing the rock and roll bed every monday morning after a show and loading all the tools back in so i've brought a 110 defender for work and now the van can get some much need tlc and a decent conversion, plus i sold the missues honda to buy the landrover so the van will be our daily driver.

So with a soar head after some christmas week celibrations, i sarted ripping everthing out and finally got to pull up the rubber load liner to find what i had expected/feared, the liner seems to have held alot of condensation against the steel floor its not all that bad but i will have go round and repair a few small rust marks with have been created by the damp. However this leaves me with my first problem

I was going to lay down some of the foil type bubble insulation before i layed the ply flooring down, but im now worried that this will cause the same problem as the load liner did and trap moisture against the floor. After reading a few threads on here im now not so sure wheather the benifits of insulation actually out weight the risk of moisture beening trapped where you cant get to it. If anyone has any ideas about this i would love to hear them.

Thanks for reading and like i said if anyone has any ideas about this please comment on here cause at the moment im pretty stuck as to with way to go.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've now stripped out all the old ply linning to find a very thin loosly fitted foam sheet type insulation around 4mm thick (you can still see some in the passenger sliding door bellow), as i removed this you could see where moisture had been running down the inside of the steel van sides and i found small pools of water at the bottom, i think this just proves that insulation against the van sides is just a bad idea.
I've Just finished kurusting all the surface rust from water being held against the floor by the load linner, admittedly the rust is only in areas (dent/scrapes)which have been damaged by loading, as you can see bellow i've re-sealed and givern all the damaged areas a coat of primmer, ready for a lovely fresh coat of indian blue.
Next on the list is clean out the where the ply was removed and inspect for any root in the wet areas.

Still not sure if i want to use any insulation under the ply floor after what i just found whats your veiw/what have you used?

·
Registered
633 Posts
Its good your questioning the insulation, as I worry about stuffing the cavities with rockwall (itchy loft insulation) for fear of condensation and it never drying out ...

Cool van T:

Dave

·
Registered
552 Posts
rockwool wicks moisture, if you must use it put it in binbags and tape em shut

me i say kingspan / celotex and triiso super 10 for thinner areas (equivalent of 300mm of rockwool!!)

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Random question but was this van parked in llanberis on new years day? Not far from petes eats.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
no van was parked up at mine all through new year, mind you i did get quite drunk, someone could well have borrowed it without me noticing, but at least they returned it. lol.*<:)>

·
Registered
102 Posts
Its seems strange for there to be so much damp under the floor. Are you sure there was no leak , or was there something very damp stored in the van ?. In my opinion, the grey sound proofing foam that comes in roll s which is about 1/4 inch thick is the stuff for the job. Just roll it out , butt the joints together and lay the plywood down on top of it .
This stays very breathable , and I think it adequate insulation as heat travels up , unless your camping in Siberia regulary .

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
You'll get condensation on the metalwork whatever you do - warm inside, cold outside, it happens. There's pros and cons with any system, and you get the same issues with cars. the only difference is, most people don't strip the interiors out of their cars and go over it with a fine tooth comb like we do with our vans. It's an issue you'll never completely get away from - vehicles rust, it's just the pace that varies. I'll be putting some basic foil backed bubblewrap under my floor. you've rubbed back the rust and painted the metalwork, it's prolonging it's life. Good luck T:

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Finally got a bit of time to do a bit more more on the van this weekend so i layed i fresh coat of indian blue down on the floor ready for the flooring to go down, just gona run the wiring in for the sockets and speakers then i'll put the ply down. off back out into the cold now to remove the front seats to get them over the upholsters on monday.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Does anyone know where i can get a set of rock and roll hinges, not the spring ones from jk or the like but the ones on the new rock and roll beds that allow you to close the bed up without the cusions fouling each other? oh and my butty has just listed his van on ebay take a look http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130633730522?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 lovely early t4 which i've really grown to love it'll be sad to see her go but she needs a new home.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Started today with a nice quick and easy job replacing the scratched grey door handles with some earlier black ones which dont seem to scratch as easily

Next job on the list was to pull the seats out as im having these reupholstered this was pretty straight forward with no horrors just found a bit of rust on the bottoms of the seat bases. Which then lead me to ask why, so i started to pull up the cab floor mat which revealed a soaking wet floor. I've pulled the mat out to dry but i think this is going to need a little bit of investigation incase i've got a leak somewhere, has anyone else come accross this before?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What i found lurking under my cab floor

On a more positive note i did find this under the flooring not sure what it is?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
still ent found the cause of my water feature starting to think its just a build up of condensation from the van being standing for so long, because now i've removed the mat its all dried up and its been raining quite bad the last few days. Cant wait to get stuck back in again at the weekend because my carpet arrived from mega van mats taday.A:

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The weekend comes and im out in the cold again, but hey its all gona be worth it.

I run all the wiring in 12v, 240v and speaker before sticking the floor down

18mm marine ply stuck to the deck with a sillicone adessive.

And then just because i could'nt help myself i test fitted the flooring, quite pleased with it, sparkley!:D

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Far to cold to out doing more to the van so it was offer to the lock up tonite, to have a potch around with the rock and roll bed,
I had it made a few years ago before i really knew what a tidy one looked like and what i was doing. Being on a budget and with all the cusions already upholstered to fit this bed i've decided to re-use it but give it a revamp and do it properly this time. It originally had normal door hinges welded to the frame, with the cusions just fitted loosly on top of some ply screwed to the frame this wasnt a problem but i want to properly fix the cusions to the frame and with door hinges the cusions will press up against each other and not allow the bed to close up properly.
After alot of thinking and not much doing i finally got around to making these up tonite, it appears that these type of hinges cant be brought, it seems like all the big bed fabrictors make their own, and wont sell them seperatly (cant blaim them).

Next thing on the list for the bed is to decide weather to have it fold out on rollers or runners this could take a while.:confused:

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i think im good now, wish i had found you before. Could you put some pics up on here anyway my mate is also building a bed frame and may well be interested, how much would they be?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts