VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Can anybody help I've had this problem for about a year it’s very intermittent but usually happens on cold damp mornings? I have a 55plate T5 126k 130bhp Auto Kombi

The problem is this: as the car/van goes from 1st to 2nd it seems to hold on to 2nd/3rd gear then wont go any faster than about 30/40mph no warnings on the dash? Put my foot down it will kick down but not go any faster - if I slow down it will take ages to build up any speed. If I have to stop at traffic lights or a junction it will pull away like somebodys pushing it with no power at all ! Turn the engine off then start it the problem goes away and it will run fine sometimes it will happen again straight away or not at all for another week/month? It usually happens when the engine is cold first thing and as I say on cold damp mornings?

Can anybody help?

·
Registered
134 Posts
It is going into "limp mode" Normally caused by sticky vanes in the turbo causing an overboost to be detected so the vans computer switches to "limp mode" to protect the engine. Best check with a VAGCOM though. Best cure for sticky turbo vanes it a good thrashing plenty of revs otherwise known as an "italian tuneup" you need to get heat throught the turbo to burn off the carbob deposits that build up and cause the vains to stick. Hope thats understandable. Happens to my van sometimes when the Mrs has spent the week driving miss daisy!! :D
Phil

1 - 3 of 3 Posts