VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My ( company car) 58 plate 1.9 tdi Golf estate was booked in last week for a service today at 36000 miles. On thursday last week got a stench of burning through the heater vents, smelled like slipping clutch, or maybe fubared cat.
No clutch slip evedent in the 250 miles I've done since then.
Took car in today and apart from the service it apparently needs the following;

front discs and pads,
rear pads,
wiper blades f&rLOL:
oil seal ( unspecified leak):*
turbo:eek:
clutch inc DMF:eek:

With the exeption of the turbo and oil seal the rest is chargeable.

Clutch on 36000 mile 30 month old car ?

I've driven this since 18000 miles when our firm bought it and driven pretty sensibly, just pleased it's not my own car !!

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
You've heard of 'drive it like you stole it' - here's 'drive it like you lease it' LOL:

Just kidding... I had a Leon & 2 Passats as company cars, and I think there were times when the garage was rather enthusiastic about repairing things at the slightest hint of trouble. Not sure who ends up footing the bill, but it ain't them. When they had drivers who were clearly ragging their cars, the company ended up reducing the level of car entitlement so they didn;t get the 130 or 150 tdis etc

·
Registered
9,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I'd describe my car driving style as hard, but not "thrashy or ambitious".
I've now done about a million miles in various cars over the years, most of which have been changed at about 100k miles or sometimes sooner ( the clutch in my van was changed at 124000) and have never had a clutch fail before.
A Saab 95 I had six years ago ate a turbo at 86000 miles.
It's interesting that the dealer in question was asking for £827 for the clutch at 11a.m today, but are magically down to £660 by 12.30pm.
Of course we don't know how it was driven up to the time we had it, but it has always seemed ok if a bit "harsh" at motorway speeds.
I did 90000m in a 2003 130pd passat which never had a spanner near it apart from services and only front discs.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Dropped my van off for a standard £80 service today.

Ok its done over 100k but i got a phone call at lunch advising me off £700 worth of work that needs doing.

Front coils
Alternator belt
Indicator Lever
Brakes front and back
Brake fluid
and perished number plates.

Ouch!!!

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
the way these places charge, just sorting the plates out yourself will probably take £60 or £70 off!

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Yeah its a T4 mate. Maybe im confused i was trying to work whilst he was on the phone to me.
Its the suspension coils front or rear.
I did think something was up with the suspension anyway.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Im putting personal plates on it in a few weeks once i get the V5 back from the DVLA so i said dont bother with them.

Put the rest came to 700 well 689 but they might aswell take both your arms and legs whilst they're at it!!!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Dropped my van off for a standard £80 service today.

Ok its done over 100k but i got a phone call at lunch advising me off £700 worth of work that needs doing.

Front coils
Alternator belt
Indicator Lever
Brakes front and back
Brake fluid
and perished number plates.

Ouch!!!
Buying these at trade prices from TPS (trade supplier for VW) will total approx £300. So that's £400 labour.
I'd estimate the work would take about 4 to 4.5 hrs, so that would be £100 an hr give or take.

Book a day off work, find a garage reasonably close that people on here recomend, travel to said garage with the missus/ hubby, drop off van and have a "self" day. I will bet even with money spent on day out you'd still go home with change compared to the other optionT:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts