VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm in the midst of a tdi conversion and am also doing the 5th gear swap, whilst getting the small driven gear off (one hell of a task as it was stuck solid) the thread on the bolt that holds it got rolled so I need a new bolt before I can replace the gear. I noticed the bolt that came from the van was 10mm longer than the one from the golf gearbox that I'm robbing the new gear from, upon enquiring with vw and checking both their commercial and consumer parts systems it turns out no bolt this size is listed for any of their gearboxes, and the one that 'should' be in my van is the shorter bolt. The problem is the shorter bolt has nowhere near enough engagement with the shaft, so I can't use it. The guy at vw suggested this could be because someone has previously had the box apart and changed the shafts (unlikely as it doesn't look to have been touched since new), or that a during production a batch of shafts was made that were 10mm too short, so rather than scrapping them they raised a concession and used longer bolts, but never bothered creating a part no for them.

The problem is having phoned around various fastner companies looking for a 10.9 grade T60 43mm M10 x 1.0 bolt with a 8mm thick flanged head, no one stocks anything close and it's looking like I might have to get one custom made. No idea how much this might cost, but none of the companies i spoke to could even recommend anyone who might be able to do it.

Has anyone else encounter this strange sized bolt before, or even better know where I might be able to get a new one?

Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That would be fantastic, I'd definitely owe you a beer if you can dig me out this hole!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts