·
Premium Member
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hi there,

i have done a lot of searching on here in reference to the 5th gear upgrade

my van is a 2.5 tdi 88bhp ajt( i think)

the van has no intercooler and reverse gear is up and left

ok i have taken some pics but at the mo i cant seem to get them on here, (help welcomed)

anyhoo

i took the endplate off and found the small gear to have pretty much no teeth left on it

then i noticed the thin wire clip that goes around the front of the syncro(i imagine to hold it in was sat at the bottom of the gearbox housing

the teeth on the larger gear were also trashed

i got a mate to put the van into 5th and the syncro mesh seemed to move ok towards the box and then again when he took it out of 5th

is this fairley normal how they brake up or am i looking at a more serious problem?

all other gears work absoultely fine

any thought welcomed

should i be able to fit new gears and away i go or is it possibole there is sbcro mesh damage?

last think, can i take the scnro off and the trashed gears and then still use the van upto 4th gear or will this cause more danage?

thanks

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sorry adie but the shrapnel will eventualy cause premiture bearing failure ,unless you can remove it all then its fingers crossed.
thanks for the reply

can the shrapnel get into the other side of the box?

can the 5th gear seems to be on it own behind the end plate

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
providing all the remnants of the gear is removed i reckon you could just refit new gears and away you go,

get busy in there, drain fluid, wipe what you can out, get in there was magnet on a stick till you are happy its clean in there,

do you know what ratio the 5th is on a 2.5?

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi mate
Thanks for the reply,

Not sure what ratio 5th gear is I think it's .70 and the upgrade 5th gear is 0.68
But I have read so many threads I maybe confused lol

I just hope thaty sncro I ok as I have read on other threads the gear shafts and the sncro"s can get damaged

Cheers adie

·
Registered
759 Posts
Looks like you have a fair bit of rust in there....shouldn't be any sign of that. Would recommend look into why you have water in the gearbox as that would cause it to weaken and fail prematurely. As a few others have said, take extra care when cleaning it out to make sure there are no more fragments from the old teeth left as they'll eat away at the rest of the box pretty rapidly.

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what are you going to fit to it? i think the golf one is used in mine was .71 which was an asd box.

ive got all the bits that i took out of my box but the ratio was .85 so no use to you im afraid.
hi again matey

can you be a bit more pin point on the what box the gears where u used pease

what mk golf, year engien size etc so i cna get to my main dealer and order some parts,

i could order the same parts as i have now but it seem better to upgrade the 5th gear imo

hope u can help
cheers
Adie

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
it looks to me that someone has run the gearbox dry of oil. Hence the rust and it must have been going on quite a while.
Or you may have even had a numpty put water in there as deliberate sabotage for some reason. I can't see how water can get in there without it being put in.
But to be honest with you mate if your 5th gear is that bad you can probably the rest is on it's way out too.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
hi again matey

can you be a bit more pin point on the what box the gears where u used pease

what mk golf, year engien size etc so i cna get to my main dealer and order some parts,

i could order the same parts as i have now but it seem better to upgrade the 5th gear imo

hope u can help
cheers
Adie

the gear i used was from a mk3 tdi golf, used the 5th gear and final drive i think its called (the two youve stripped)

i got mine from a salvage yard, i think the box is called an 02 box code asd.

there is alot of info on here about box codes/ratios, i found all i needed on here to do the swap, was over a year ago i did it so cant remember the links

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hi mate

thanks for info

i have read so much my brain is dijesting it lol

i will do a search on a national scrap website for the asd box 5th gear and see what comes up

cheers
Adie

1 - 13 of 13 Posts