VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, will these alloys fit a T5, will they go straight on without any messing around...?

5x120 - ET20 - 7J

·
Registered
310 Posts
They should fit fine...

I had 16" 3 series wheel son my 1.9 for five years with no problems. Knew full well they weren't load rated but passed every MOT as most won't be checking that.
Being practical, the load rating is more about the maximum loaded weight of the vehicle rather than kerb weight and I never had much weight in mine so was happy to take the chance. No problems.

For work I now have 19" Disco wheels on my 4motion which are 900k per corner but the van is only 1900k kerb weight so I could nearly carry another van on the roof. Quite what they expected a Disco to carry is a mystery but I can abuse these off road I:

·
Registered
310 Posts
Not giving advice... Just personal experience.

Compared to some 20" hairline spoked bling wheels on vans that people get upset when they crack or buckle under the weight of a van on the first pothole, these were pretty rugged for what they were.
Mate of mine locally has just such a set of after market load rated 20" wheels with skinny t :eek:yres. He bought them new and all four bucked to hell and one is now cracked. Been quoted more to fix than replace!!!

Just saying... I was off road a fair bit on these car wheels and only down to lack of grip of C rated van tyres on mud and rough terrain did I get the Disco wheels and AT tyres.

There are more questionable things being done to vans on here that everyone thinks is cool, than running a nearly empty van on car wheels.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
as above ..........there are lots of things in vans that are unsafe and cannot help thinking that sooner or later laws are going to be tightened up to stop this ...... Wheels that are not load rated is just one ...........axle weights are on the van ,just make sure the wheels you fit are rated to the numbers quoted .............

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
Not giving advice... Just personal experience.
Did'nt say it was advice - however, some people would take it as such, hence the ""'s.

Just saying... I was off road a fair bit on these car wheels
A whole weekends "off road" can be less damaging than just one bad pothole.

There are more questionable things being done to vans on here that everyone thinks is cool, than running a nearly empty van on car wheels.
True, but in this section we are talking wheels & tyres. Empty vans or not you can still invalidate your insurance using under-rated wheels/tyres & far more easy for the assessor to spot than other "questionable things" if they are trying to reduce their payout.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts