VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a vehicle to do some camping in, but for the most part to act as comfortable transport for up to 6 adults. I was considering a T5 fitted with 6 captains chairs (in a 2 2 2 formation), with a pop top, and a removable kitchen unit accessed via the rear doors (I have seen some Van Essa units which would appear to fulfil this function). Has anybody seen something similar to this? Who would you recommend for doing a decent quality conversion like this - or best of all... Does anybody know one of these for sale? I am a complete newbie to the transporter world, so all advice and help will be gratefully accepted.

·
Premium Member
1,267 Posts
The 2 2 2 layout is an option on the caravelle, plenty of people have added caravelle rails to a van so they can add or remove seats to make a layout to suit their needs,using the 3 seat bench in the 3rd row can be made into a bed with a bed extension piece.
Wicked vans on here does this conversion might be worth a chat with him. Plenty of choice for a pop top make there's loads on here to read

·
Registered
46 Posts
You'll probably be looking at caravelle seats in the back and its one of the options I was given, although I'm leaning more towards the 2+2+3 options so that the rear triple can fold down into a bed to give the most flexibility...sort of part camper, part people carrier!

Not cheap though, the seats are bad enough but the cost of the rails + fitting..... :eek:

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Mine started life as a van and I also wanted the same as yourself I have gone for the captains seats then the triple , we have installed a double rail in the middle so if required you could have two more captains chairs or table. I don't need these but do need the camper option.
The bed extension will house a hob and of course storage. Also a pod up front will house the fridge this is all removable and off course the seats have storage and for the little one it slides right up behind us .
Give T4life a call they will talk you through the whole process and the options before you start .
Couple of snaps to show you the seating and the bed extension to give you some idea .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts