VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So has anyone been brave enough to order a Eurotuning conversion kit and install it in their T4 yet?

They report that over 350 cars are running the kit at present and they offer the same parts guarantee as VW, but at over £1000 it isn't a cheap option for sure.

If anyone is running it in their van I would love to hear from you, or am I going to be the first to get my wallet out? :eek:

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Sorry. None that I know of.

However, if you do go for it me and one or two others may be all over you like a rash for info. I:

·
Registered
689 Posts
im always trying to put the van into 6th after driving the car, it really could do with it but for 1k i dont know.. go on get the cards out and get spending A:

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
So I am biting the bullet and placing that order......... :eek:

Does anyone know the cheapest place to get a genuine DMF from? I already have an uprated Sachs clutch and release bearing that I am going to fit as well.
Is a DMF the way to go here Motters? Just aware of the troubles that Brookster had with his.

Fair play. As I've said there's a few that will be interested, me included. Please keep us all up to date.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Is a DMF the way to go here Motters? Just aware of the troubles that Brookster had with his.

Fair play. As I've said there's a few that will be interested, me included. Please keep us all up to date.
DMF with the uprated Sachs is def the way for me having looked into all the options. I am already pushing the torque limits of the gearbox (250Nm Max) and and I'd rather stay with the OE setup rather than go with the solid flywheel option. I hope this will keep the van smoother.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Keeping a watch of this thread. Silly question, how will you select 6th gear, will you need any mods to selector and stick etc at all?

cheers

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
I have an 888 X-pack 2.5TDi that is fitted with the EWB 02B gearbox. The kit does fit these gearboxes on the T4 as they are basically the same as in the Golfs. All the info you need on the VW gearboxes is in this post - http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=34048

Here's the link to the kit.
http://www.eurotuning.cz/images/image/en/varianta_komfortni-en.html
http://www.vwtuningmag.com/gearbox-conversion-kit/
Thanks for the info, interesting reading I assumed it was a gearbox type swap.
This is showing an extension to the gearbox is it?

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Correct T4Eddie - it is a 6th gear extension and a new access panel (with end shaft support bearings built in). The access is very tight on the T4, unlike on the Golfs. They quote it as being an in-situ modification but in all honesty this will be incorrect and to do the job efficiently it is a gearbox out job as far as I am concerned. (This is due to the lack of clearance to allow the new end plate to fit in and the end shafts to slot into the support bearings).

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
would you get enough clearance to fit the kit if you undid the g/box mount and lowered the N/S of the engine/box on a trolley jack. removing the gearbox in-situ looks like a real ball ache.....
Problem is fitting the new selector shaft - not the end plate.

You could do it half in place if you spun the box round.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It is highly unlikely that sufficient clearance can be made to slide the new end cover onto the end shaft in order to locate the shaft with the captive bearings in the new cover plate.

The new selector shaft is a pretty fiddly operation as well that will best be tackled on the bench.

The best way to do do this mod is to carry it out at the same time as a clutch replacement to make life a lot less stressful on yourself (assuming you are the one fittting it). Some garages may quote it as being capable of fitting in the vehicle, but having spoken to a few of the Golf guys that have undertaken this operation it is awkward enough with tight clearances for them (and they have FAR better access than we do in the T4s).

1 - 20 of 136 Posts