VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

6mm or 3.6mm Ply lining

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Russbooger 
#1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has regretted fitting 3.6mm ply and wished they had used 6mm or indeed visa versa. Just about to order my ply kits.

If anyone has used a supplier where the kit was accuratly cut and fit well that would be useful?

#2 ·
Depends on how you are fitting it and where, 6mm is really strong but unless you countersink the holes for hidden clips you may struggle to get a clean finish, i reused all of the ply in my old van which was 6mm old but hard has nails, in my new one I am on 4mm ply which is quite soft and brittle but the MVM clips fit straight in. What i found was the panels in the rear need to be screwed into the metal you can hide the screw heads by making a small slit into the carpet (assuming you are doing this) and then popping the carpet over the screw head, the rear door panels was done with MVM hidden clips as was the side load door and opposite panel.

#3 ·
Yes am still wondering what clips to use, hidden or standard. Hadnt considered screws, hmm. I read that the flex in the thinner ply makes fitting easier and clips work better but I do like the idea of thicker. That said its down to the quallity of the ply. As you have highlighted, ply aint what it used to be! lol. I guess the perfect solution would be top quality 3.6 -4mm birch ply. They seem to use a lot of filler in ply nowadays. you only have to count the layers on the cut edge if your picking it yourself but ordering online you dont really know what your getting unless someone recommends it.

#4 ·
I had 6mm on my barn door panels, and whilst revamping the interior I put in 10 years ago swapped for 4mm, and used MVM hidden panel clips instead of drilling into the metalwork Much easier to work with. Haven’t noticed any difference, still got 6mm in the rest of the van on the sides, and 4mm for the roof panels.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.