VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
Nearing the end of my semi-conversion of my Kombi (insulating and carpeting, fitting a heater and leisure battery, and getting and Exploria Kombi bed). I have used mostly 4mm ply, and got new the roof panels on after a fair old struggle. For the 2 full height rear panels (above the wheel arches) I used 6mm ply, just to give a bit more strength. I countersunk the carpeted side by a couple mm to allow me to use the Mega Van Mat hidden clips, and they fitted fine. But now that I'm putting the panels back on, they just will not fit!.
I've tried everything, even lying on my back and using my feet, but the middle fixings won't take. I can feel the clips going in but the flex of the ply just pings them back out! I'm sure I'd read on here that people had used 6mm before, but have those people screwed to the frame? Unless anyone has some tips then I think I'm left to either remake the panels in 4mm ply (more carpet, custom speaker mounts that I've made, generally more work!) or use screws (dry lining screws? how long?)!
Any tips gratefully received!
Ta,
Gav

·
Want Electrics? Go Wildebus!
8,169 Posts
Have you got access to a router?
If so, then you could cut lines of fine slots parallel to the curve line and maybe 1-1.5mm deep to allow the flex. This is often pre-done with MDF sheets to allow it to curve round.
This shows what I mean with the MDF ... http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Flexible-MDF-Board-6-x-607-x-1220mm/p/190139

Be a shame to have to redo the sides with those speaker pod as they looked great T:

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah good idea! Good news is I do have a cheap router in the garage, bad news is I don't know how to use it! Off to YouTube I go...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts