VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I'm in the market for a T5 after selling my beloved '64 split for something more practical! Has anyone done the above or does anyone have any ideas/advice to offer as to how to get started?! I could buy a base van and build it up but surely would cost a load more than finding something close to start with?

I want a full with R&R bed on rails so that it can shove forward giving me loads of boot space for work. 2 seats in the middle to carry the olds, removable for a camping pod (removable unit with sink, fridge and cooker). Walk through with spinny round seats. Oh and some clever storage (somewhere?!?!) for all that camping and kids stuff! HELP!!!

Cheers ;o) T:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi there. I am looking to do the same so if you have any joy I would be grateful if you could let me know. I have a t5 exec with rails so my idea is to remove the passenger seats and use the rear seat which folds flat. Add a foam topper of some sort and either a kitchen pod up front or add in a unit under the bed with a pull out drawer which contains a cooker and basin accessed with the boot lid up. Fridge removable 12v and a new leisure battery.

Well that's the plan but I have no idea what's going to work.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I've got a set of caravelle rails in my SWB, only 5 seats, but if I had 2 single second row seats, then I could seat 7. The thing that sold the caravelle rails for me was that they can slide the full length of the vehicle, stopping at any point. At the time, I got them, I don't thing any other system did that or did as well as the 'velle rails. You quite often see full sets of 7 ex-cali beach seats for sale on eBay or through the dealers. You can obviously buy a caravelle (will come with a lot of plastic in the back) or get the rails installed yourself or by one of the reliable installers. We used Oxford T5 who were great.

The flexibility that I have with the rails is great, although I am building some storage boxes in the tailgate area which will replace the mutliflex board and reduce the travel length of the seats, but I am happy to loose that as most of the travel I use is in the front 'half' of the rear (if that makes sense).

I'm also building a small pod in the front that will house a hob. I can just about get away with that and still be able to put the bed down and rotate the front seats around. If you wanted much more up front or are tall, you might want to think about a LWB! I binned the sink in favour of a plastic bowl to wash outside and also decided that as nice as a CR50 looked, that a compressor driven coolbox that lives in the tailgate area was better suited to what we needed - but I guess coming from another camper, you'll probably have a good idea about what you want!!

Cheers

1 - 4 of 4 Posts