VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys

Sorry if this was covered somewhere else, I tried a search but probably missed it.

My T5 7 Speed DSG has stripped the drivers side female diff output drive, the part the drive shaft goes into, its not like the previous ones that were male and could just be changed without taking the diff and gearbox apart.

The gearbox is coming out on Tuesday.

I live in Southwest Scotland and intend to use Caledonian Gearboxes in Glasgow who have a first class reputation, new heavy duty diff and clutch plates - £3000 inc VAT. Its £1500 alone for the diff. Its eye watering I know but will be 100%.

However Nottingham Gearboxes are quoting £1500 for just replacing the stripped output shaft and new clutch plates, spoke to the guy on Friday and he seemed sound. £60 each way on a pallet hmmmmm.

I don't want to get into diy solutions, I have considered the new shaft, jb weld then sell it route but I want to keep the van. The gearbox is coming out and its going somewhere.

Reviewing this post before submitting it kinda answers itself.

I'm eventually getting to the point - does anyone have any experience of dealing with Gearbox Nottingham (Slaters Garage), I cant find anything negative which must be good news as everyone loves a whine.

Thanks in advance and please delete this post if its been covered somewhere else.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

I haven't used Gearbox Nottingham but have been there for them to look at my van. I think it was Paul I dealt with and he was very helpful and inspired confidence.

The issue with my DSG7 is the usual jerkiness, seems to be the "mechatronics". Pulling away in 1st or reverse is sometimes like it lets the clutch out to fast.

They are nearly 3 hours from me but the company I work for has an office nearby so I popped in just before Christmas. I will probably get them to carry out the work (similar price to yours).

I hope this helps in some way.

Kevin

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Kevin

Its all done now and am 700 miles on with no issues. Gearbox is super slick and changes down with engine braking

£3200 later Including removal, shipping both ways, repair to box, new driveshaft, dmf, oil, dsg plates etc.

Slaters did what they said and seem quite a slick outfit. Would recommend them anytime.

Slaters were £1800 including vat for new output shaft and dsg plates.

Local garage did the rest and cant fault them.

VW do not sell the female output housing on its own, they want £10k for a new gearbox. However the part is manufactured somewhere and imported, I found it somewhere on the interweb but lost interest as I would have to get slaters to fit so no point.

This is a common problem in performance VW/Skoda/Seat cars which use this gearbox, will become more prevalent as these and other vehicles succumb to this problem. Slaters will not be short of work in time to come.

Could have done without this.

AVOID THIS BOX LIKE THE PLAGUE.

IN FACT GET A TRANSIT OR VIVARO.

·
Special Rapporteur
10,721 Posts
AVOID THIS BOX LIKE THE PLAGUE.
I know it's been a pain for you but... we don't seem to get many reports of problems here with that box, so I guess you've been unlucky. If the work included a new clutch pack that's not so bad, as I think the part alone from VW is near enough £800 - definitely worth getting that done at the same time.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I know it's been a pain for you but... we don't seem to get many reports of problems here with that box, so I guess you've been unlucky. If the work included a new clutch pack that's not so bad, as I think the part alone from VW is near enough £800 - definitely worth getting that done at the same time.
don't get reports of DSG boxes failing LOL:

They're a total nightmare in most of the VAG platform. Be it T5/6, A4's, MK5 golfs etc etc i know people that have been stung with all of the models above!

·
Special Rapporteur
10,721 Posts
don't get reports of DSG boxes failing LOL:
What I wrote is that "we don't seem to get many reports of problems here with that box" - which as far as I can recall is true - we don't. I can recall far more threads about the pre-facelift's Tiptronic box than about the DSG - though I concede that all of the Tiptronics are years older than any of the DSGs.

They're a total nightmare in most of the VAG platform. Be it T5/6, A4's, MK5 golfs etc etc i know people that have been stung with all of the models above!
Are they, though? Or are they just a lot more popular than any previous auto, because of their efficiency?

I don't know the proportion of manual:auto in the current range of Transporters, but I'd be prepared to bet that the proportion of autos is much higher than in the days of the Tiptronic slushbox. It could be that you're just seeing more problems because more are out there.

And yes, I know that the previous dry-clutch DSG was definitely problematic, but that box was never fitted to the T5 or T6.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.