·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents,
Just seen a few threads about using a tablet as a head unit
This is something I think I will go for looks amazing music
Nav and endless opportunity

So looking at the threads everyone it seems have the same problem, it seems the favorite is the Google nexus 7
Trouble stars when the tablet needs to be charged and have an output from the same usb plug
Options are using the headphones socket as audio out but you only get 2 channel
Bluetooth sound streaming is the other to a hidden head unit,

The other option is maybe the 7" allwinner a33 tablet on eBay, it has a separate charge jack so the usb could be used as audio out
But then do I go with a cheap tablet or stick to a mainstream tablet and use bluetooth

Please show what ideas you have and what others have done

·
Registered
147 Posts
Most Android Tablets are capable of digital audio out from the USB cable. There are roms for the Nexus that are specifically designed for the Nexus 7 to run as a car unit. The Nexus has charging pins on the side that can be used to charge the unit while getting USB audio out. You would then need a suitable DAC or USB Audio to SPDiif to plug into a suitable processor. It can be done...but is it really worth the agro?

I installed the ROM onto my unit and bought a DAC and dock, but gave up after that. A head unit with Android Auto will do all the tings you describe, but the in built amplifiers and designed to run in a car.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I didn't know there were pins on the side of the Nexus 7 something to look into,

So why a tablet I hear you say .... well I did want a vw 510 but they were too expensive so i looked at ebay cheap copy and wasn't impressed with the quality.tablet i thought would give me the quality and flexibility Of the android software, at a much cheaper pice tag than the 510

But for me I do need a 4 channel audio and it may seem if th Nexus has separate charging pin its possible then to use the USB just for the audio as I will then hopefully get the 4 channels I need.

So what next do I feed the input into a hidden head unit with USB input,
Or a USB dac straight into a 4 channel amp?

·
Registered
4,018 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Don't actually need an amp. You can put the audio out into s blue tooth sender and fit bluetooth speakers. I know cos i did it.can charge the speakers and sender if required. But Ue Boom speakers have 15 HR life so no problem. Sound is first class to even trait it out of the vehicle if you want when camping.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I do like that head unit the pioneer, but I was hoping for something downmarket as I wasn't going to use it anyway and was going to
hide it in the glovebox or behind the tablet,

im thinking now maybe Bluetooth to the head unit, is that possible without buing a jack plug to bleutooth as for some reason that is what others have done,
I know the nexus 7 has internal Bluetooth is it not possible to connect that to the head unit Bluetooth and be done with it?

seen a few threads

http://www.mp3car.com/android-table...-tab-in-a-2010-vw-golf-with-big-pictures.html

1 - 10 of 10 Posts