VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI all

Having no end of problems with tyres on 225 40 18 at moment due to insufficient loading of tyre.
Thinking of changing to 17s and going 225 55 17. Has anyone else done this on a 60 drop? I'm hoping if I go for et 45 wheels should fit under arches ok?
Also re the loading, how do I work out whether I've got a 800, 1000 or 1200 based on slam panel label? Mine reads;

2800kg
4500kg
1 - 1510kg
2 - 1490kg

Many thanks for your help!

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Cant help with et,s etc . but 1200 will be LWB . The label gives you load rating for tyre width . As you can see , it increases with width . Too many just throw wheels on , without considering the issues you are having ....

·
Full of Cr*p....
7,889 Posts
Cant help with et,s etc . but 1200 will be LWB . The label gives you load rating for tyre width . As you can see , it increases with width . Too many just throw wheels on , without considering the issues you are having ....
?!?!?!?!?!??

The 800, 1000, 1200 refers to the load carrying capacity...nothing to do with wheelbase or tyre width! (Although the LWB versions are usually higher)

2800kg is the maximum loaded vehicle weight
4500kg is the maximum TOTAL, with a trailer attached (so max trailer of 1700kg)
1 - 1510kg is the Front axle maximum
2 - 1490kg is the Rear axle maximum

This means, any tyres, to be legal, have to have a load index over 1510/2...755kg each
That means tyres with a Load Index (LI) of 99 for front, and 98 for the back.

I had to change all 4 of the tyres I bought in UK from a "reputable" tyre dealer, as they were only 97LI, and Norwegian "MOT" checks this.....less than 2000 miles, and they were useless!

I've heard of people in UK with 94LI tyres....that's just asking for problems, as even with an empty van, they're being overloaded!

I run 245/45-17 99LI Hankook Ventus V12s...."was" a 45mm drop, but with the extra weight added it's now 370mm from wheel centre to arch, and I've had it loaded to the point where you can't get a finger between tyre and rear arch....and drive 2000 miles from UK to Norway every year like that. (Shopping trip/mum visit/etc)
Got 65,000 km from the last set :)

Never had a problem (apart from being stopped at customs as they always think it's overloaded!)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very tidy van that! Cheers for the reply, makes sense, I've worked out im a 1200 then. And considering I'm running tyres with 92 load index, no wonder I'm getting cracking, time to get some new wheels on order that actually work! Just got to work out if I can still get away with 60mm drop. Do you never suffer from scrubbing on the arches? What wheels you got, look really smart.

·
Full of Cr*p....
7,889 Posts
Wheels are AUTEC ETHOS BLACK POLISHED

Bought from;

http://www.raceandroad.com/alloy-wheels/17-alloy-wheels/autec-e-17-black-polished-van-alloy-wheels-for-volkswagen-model-transporter-t4-92-03.htm

VERY helpful people :)

BTW, van looks even better (and lower) with the stainless steel sidebars now fitted.....must update my pics sometime.

The ladders and roofbox were on for the trip from UK to Norway, but NOT the security cameras that look to be attached also!
Averaged over 40 mpg with it loaded like that on the 2000m trip home :) (Auto box too....)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Gaz M

Im considering the ethos you have but silver for maintenance issues, just wondering did you go for et45 or et50? Where spacers required? Looking at my rear this morning the hub is a fair way set inboard so current wheels most be a small offset to.fill arch as they do.
I assume you don't have any width issues with your 245 wide tyres? I've worked out these only close arch gap by 3mm over current 225 40 18 so should be beat bet.

Cheers for your help, doing my head in now I've read so much inconclusive stuff! Just going to have to hope!!

Many thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts