VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've got a 1999 T4 SWB which has had a rear spring snap.

Now, its darn low, 18's sit in the arches at the rear and it was like this when I bought it so its a mystery as to what the springs are with regards to make or designed lowering value. I do cart a lot of weight around too.

The ride is a shocker too so I'm thinking here is an opportunity to improve things. The dilemma is what to replace it with. I want to keep is really low, I think it looks pretty cool, but the lowest kit I can find is Vogtland 60mm package from Vee Dub Transporters.

Ps, I'm thinking that replacing the shocks at the same time will sort out the ride as I suspect that its lowered on standard struts.

So, my question is where can I obtain a lowering kit in the region of 80mm? (or dare I say lower :D)

Cheers, Neil

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,383 Posts
18" wheels give a cr*p ride on a T4 to start with.
Dropping 80mm with them is just crazy!

MY van looks lower than yours, with a 40mm drop and running 245/45-17 wheels.

Can just get my fingers between rear arches and tyre when loaded.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
True, the ride isn't great but the aethstetics are subjective.
I'd prefer to compromise on some ride quality to have the van slammed.
I'm wondering what the consensus was, just replace the springs as a pair on the rear or go all in and replace the dampers too.
As said previous the lower the better so what I saw available on the market lower than 60mm?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers Alex
I'll give them a call.
Is there a way of measuring how much the van is lowered? Say distance from hub centre to underside of arch?

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,383 Posts
If they are TUV approved, you can check on the papers as to what the distance both front and rear should be from wheel centre to arch.

I had to argue with our "Kontrol" people as mine was 10mm lower at the front than specified....

I claimed that the measurements were as "unloaded", and I had added a new floor and 2 extra batteries......
Still took me a while to convince them, but when I pointed out that the floor was level inside the van, they eventually accepted it. (only took 4 weeks and 3 visits to the centre!)

Also, cost me 450 quid for a 4 wheel alignment and brake valve setting up!!!! (Needed computer print out from VW dealer....)

Simple way to make it LOOK lower....add some side bars...T:

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
Too low for me, I would never get my feather duster inside the wheel arch lip to stop the rust starting LOL:LOL:LOL:LOL:

Just remember too, any obvious 'rubbing' at MOT time is a FAIL (all 4 corners, including at full steering lock).

With regard to lowering, bigger wheels and tyres etc. By diing so you change the vehicle steering geometry and characteristics considerably; and also it starts to promote more positive tyre scrub radius, which is never a good thing.

When you throw bigger wheels and tyres at a vehicle, and lower it; you are doing more than making it look pretty ................... and much of it is not very good ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No such thing as too low :D
Just leads to less fillings and more maintenance bills I:

Anyhow, thanks for your advice and opinions. I went for a trip down to Northwick at lunch and bought myself some goodies.

Let's see where 60mm takes me with some uprated dampers for good measure :ILU:

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
No such thing as too low :D
Just leads to less fillings and more maintenance bills I:

Anyhow, thanks for your advice and opinions. I went for a trip down to Northwick at lunch and bought myself some goodies.

Let's see where 60mm takes me with some uprated dampers for good measure :ILU:
Don't be surprised if those springs are pretty much 'coil bound' as soon as you fit them :eek:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts