VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
well technically i dont know . but i test drove both and there is quite a bit more power in the 102/4

i may be wrong but the 104 was the earlier t5 and 102 was 07 onwards summit to do with emmisions

·
Registered
981 Posts
Hi Rhinochaser- how are you?
I've been driving a 1.9 104 2008 (or maybe its a 102:confused:) alot with work recently. Around town I was quite surprised how much pull it has- a little flat on the motorway but this is probably due to the worlds biggest roof rack on it.

Fuel wise its almost like it runs on air! (compared to mine anywayI:). Are you thinking of changing yours? Its Green if I remember rightly?
Have a good christmas anyway, NickT:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Rhinochaser,

I have owned an 84 for a few years now. It is no road rocket but suits my kind of driving just fine.
I only use it for carrying camping kit and bicycles etc. I was dead set against buying it as I wanted a 5 cylinder 2.5. I took it for a test drive, thought it went supprisingly well and bought it (very low mileage and well looked after).
I believe the engine/turbo/intercooler are identical to the 102/104 and can be easilly "chipped" for approx. £300.
That was the intention but 3 years later and I still haven't got round to it although I haven't ruled it out. I guess it can't be that bad!

·
Registered
487 Posts
My first t4 was a H reg / 1991 2.4 that racked up moon mission miles, albeit slowly.
Sold this privately in August 2004.

My next van in August 2004 was a 1997 2.5tdi 102bhp with 130k miles - was remapped in 2006/7 to 130bhp.
This was sold in September 2010 with 185000 miles.

My new van, bought in September 2010 with 387 miles, is a 2010 T5 T26 1.9 tdi 63kW/84bhp with all the toys and aircon.

As time has gone by, and technology improved, all I can say is I've enjoyed nearly 20 years of VW T4s, and hope to continue for some time yet, especially in my lurvvely red 1.9tdi.
Will be re-mapping to 115/6 bhp in the New Year.T:

Born Protester *<:)>

·
Registered
474 Posts
As a fellow 85'er all I can say is that it's an essential remap! I then took the cat off mine which didn't give much improvement in the horses but made it smoother, especially at lower revs.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks guys

Ive been looking for a 102/104 but seen a 85 at good money

I have driven a 104 hightop fully laden camper that i did find sluggish- so have my doubts

If a remap will sort it out then that may be the answer

CheersT:

·
Registered
487 Posts
I recently bought my T5 specifically for conversion and towing my jetski. Personally I chose the 104 and will remap to 135. Depending on how heavy your conversion is an 84 will be underpowered for those uphill sections. Idealy the 174 is the daddy but being a mechanic I want something reliable, cheap to run and quick to repair... so I went the 4 clynders route..

plus point for the 84hp I think its cheaper on tax? a euro 4 van or summit? im sure sum1 will explain that better

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.