1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi after opions/advice please

I have been looking around for intercooler kits for my 88hp Ajt
The standard vw 102 type used is quite expensive
There is talk of differing sensors and i dont want to go messing around with all that
I would like to keep the van looking standard
I dont really like the idea of the L200 intercooler and all the related pipe joining and cutting etc that sounds like problems brewing under the bonnet
I am not into cutting out the front for a cheapo ebay generic front mount

What i would like is a top mount using the standard vw mounting points (slightly bigger than the std one ?)
Remove the MaP sensor from the plastic pipe and refit into the side of the intercooler
Remove the black plastic pipe air pipe and the 2 clips
Fit the new intercooler to the existing pipes using the 4 mounts already on my bodyshell
Cut out the soundproofing under the bonnet

Hopefully all fitted in about 30 minutes

Does anyone do such a thing ?
Whats the likely cost ? £350 ???

Sounds fairly easy :no

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
if u dont want to mess with pipework or cut anything,dont fit an intercooler.
read the l200fits 88 thread
plenty of info n pics
l200easiest way n cheapest under £80
fmic kit £150 ebay.n most efficient.
or bite bullet n buy a 102ic.

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
i didnt bother with an IC on my 88hp tdi and its been remapped to 152hp with no problems
I must admit
unless you fit a front mount cooler the amount of heat soak you get from under bonnet coolers are not worth the extra bhp compared to the money they cost
front mounted cooler all the way
top mounted coolers are just the manufacturers being tight and lazy .

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I must admit
unless you fit a front mount cooler the amount of heat soak you get from under bonnet coolers are not worth the extra bhp compared to the money they cost
front mounted cooler all the way
top mounted coolers are just the manufacturers being tight and lazy .
Front mounted IC is better no doubt, if the front end has been designed for one.

On the T4 having the louvres makes it difficult to get good air flow unless you remove them, in which case you'll loose the advantage of quicker warm up for the winter.
You could go for a low mount FMIC but then the under tray needs modding or removing, not to mention the need to cut a large letter box in the bumper.

Finally the heat soak is not so much of a big deal as people make out. Yes it happens while stationary but the top mounted IC is alloy so has a very low thermal storage capacity (Specific heat). Once moving again the air flow past the IC stops the heat coming up from the engine and the air flow through the IC (into the engine when not on high boost) will quickly bring the IC's core back down to normal operating temperature. Once back up to speed the air flow past the IC will be so great that the core will be kept cool as normal.

I you want to talk about heat soak then consider engines with proper big FMIC's.
I had a Vectra 150hp diesel, it's IC was almost as large as the radiator and was butted up against it. Every time you stop the radiator heats the IC pretty efficiently and the engine is gutless for a short time. So our small thick top mounted IC is less effected by heat soak than a thin large one pressed up against the radiator.:D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks forthe words of wisdom
I do agree that heat soak should not be an issue whilst travelling forward.

The only reason i can see for using the L200 intercooler fan would be for its intended purpose whilst being driven very slowly off road at quite high boost levels with heat being created

Thanks Again

1 - 7 of 7 Posts