VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

This forum has provided me with tons of inspiration and info over the past 7 months while i have been converting my van. It has been hard work but i've loved it. Just got back from our maiden voyage around the lake district for 2 weeks and i'm glad t say it's all worked a treat.

Thought i'd post up some pics of the various stages for you all to have a look at.

All that's left now is tinting, lowering and chrome side bars - but they can wait till i've got some more cash:)

I'm certainly no expert, but i have picked up a few things along the way, so if anyone's got any questions or wants any info on what i've done please feel free to ask and i'll help if i can.

Cheers for all your help,

Dave

What we started with!

New wheels and fogs fitted

Elevating roof fitted - got someone else to do that bit!!

Split charge system and leisure battery fitted.

Some insulation and flooring

Carpeting finished and led lighting installed

Prototype units constructed out of 15mm ply

Construction of final units begins using laminated lightweight ply

Plumbing, gas and electrics put in

The finished job!!

Time for a lie downT:

·
Registered
262 Posts
Fantastic looking van, could i pleas ask a few questions.

Firstly where did you get the laminated ply or what is it actually called and secondly what is the corner edging you used on the wardrobe unit.
thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers for the comments guys.T:

The units were built from laminated 15mm light weight ply from www.rainbowconversions.co.uk, it's pretty much the same stuff as the Vohringer board and the Reimo board but a little bit cheaper (about £89 for a 8'x4' sheet - still not cheap!).

The corner section i used was from 'Designs in Aluminium' http://www.d-i-a.net/awp/products.asp?lid=2&cat=4 (phil556 put me onto these guys) although it says it's for a 14mm board the 15mm laminated ply fits. It comes in a 3.7m length so 1 bit was plenty for the whole job.

Good luck mate

·
Registered
20 Posts
looks brilliant that mate, have recently bought a van myself and am starting to get things together, where did you get the batt relay from and the seatbelts please.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
looks brilliant that mate, have recently bought a van myself and am starting to get things together, where did you get the batt relay from and the seatbelts please.
Hi,

The rear seatbelts came fitted to the rock 'n' roll bed which came from dave @ cannon's forge, think he advertises on the forum and offers discount to paid up membersT:.

The split charge relay i've used is a Dual sense Voltage Sensing Relay (VSR) made by BEP Marine (125A version) got mine from a local boat chandlery. It was about £70 :eek: but far superior to the normal heavy duty switching relays usually used. It is fed from a spare fuse in the van's engine bay primary fuse box and requires no sensing wire to the ignition circuit and therefore doesn't require any alteration to the vans existing wiring. It senses the voltage in both batteries, and as soon as either battery's voltage exceeds 13.7V it connects them charging them both (either from the alternator whilst driving or from the 240v battery charger whilst hooked up) it then isolates both batteries as soon as either battery's voltage drops below around 12.9V.

Hope that makes sense.

Cheers Dave

Forgot to say...

The split charge relay is the grey box on the left with 'VSR' on it. The other relay (Durite) is used as a leisure battery isolating switch switched by a small dash mounted rocker switch - nothing to do with the split charge - think i got that one from ebay, can't remember!

·
Registered
416 Posts
wow stunning.....quality work. T:
Where did you get the material and moulding trim for your units?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
wow stunning.....quality work. T:
Where did you get the material and moulding trim for your units?
Thanks mate,

Got the laminated ply from Rainbow Conversions (their own version of Vohringer) see above post for link.

The trim and all the catches/hinges etc.. came from Caravan Accessory Store (now called LazyWays) https://secure.lazyways.co.uk/acatalog/index.html it was one of the only places i could find that did the locker door trim in silver.

Cheers, Dave

·
Registered
347 Posts
Hey,

Fantastic job you have done. Im about to purchase my very first T4. Im wanting to do a conversion similar to yours. Please can you tell me how much your roof conversion was done for and the windows. I've been given a quote for plain glass for sliding door and opposite wall but want tinted ones like you have.

Cheers

Andy

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey,

Fantastic job you have done. Im about to purchase my very first T4. Im wanting to do a conversion similar to yours. Please can you tell me how much your roof conversion was done for and the windows. I've been given a quote for plain glass for sliding door and opposite wall but want tinted ones like you have.

Cheers

Andy
Cheers Andy

The roof cost about £3000, alot of money but worth it as it makes it into a really useable van. The sliding door already had a window in, but I fitted the bonded window to the opposite side, they're not tinted just the OEM VW slight green, although a black limo tint is on my to do list! Bought the window from VanSport i think, about £70 ish.

Dave

1 - 20 of 20 Posts