VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, here we go...

I decided to treat myself to my first t4 during summer 2009. I spent the following months searching for a decent base vehicle, and couldnt believe how quick the market for these was moving! During my hunt I saw quite a few dissapear off the market in a matter of minutes. I was starting to get fed up with looking at overpriced sheds, but I kept on going and after the best part of a year, my hard work finally paid off...

I actually wanted a 102bhp lwb to begin with, but after a plenty of digging on here I realised that with a bit of a tickle the 88 can easily exceed that, and when a longnose 2003 888 Special X-pack with one previous owner (a plumbing company) popped up on the trader one morning, I snapped it up! :D

First job was to remove all the signwriting, I cheekily roped the girlfriend in to help, as you do... The standard coloured vinyl came off without too much stress, but the white reflective stuff took ALOT of work. I ended up using a combination boiling water/hot air gun, a sharp plastic scraper and plenty of adhesive remover! Hopefully never again!

Next I got stuck in to the somewhat flat paintwork. I wanted to try and avoid a respray (for the time being at least). So I went to work with the G3 and the mop. It took alot of cutting, especially as the signwriting & graphics had actually sunk into the paint.

After alot of sweat and elbow grease, and a driveway covered in blue paint, it actually started to come back alright...

Next thing was to get the cambelt, tensioners and waterpump replaced. (Standard procedure when I buy a new motor!) choosing original VAG parts from the local stealer.

I initially fancied having a go at it myself, until I started reading up on what the job involves. So, after a cup of tea and a read of the manual, I picked up the phone and called the professionals...

To put a stop to the constant risk of nose bleeds, I decided to drop the van down to a slightly more sensible ride height. Having scanned the forum, i decided that the best compromise for my requirements would be a set of T4s R us -50mm springs and lowering plates. I had to wait a couple of weeks for them to come back in stock, but as soon as they turned up I went out and popped them on.

It dropped the back a bit, but not as much as I'd have liked to be honest. still, it is totally empty at the moment so it going to sit a little high... I'm sure it will drop the 60mm once my bed and kitchen go in there...

I then wound the front torsion bars down to match the back, such an easy job! It looks so much better with the reduced ride height, still want to go lower with it though...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A few more pictures...

The initial mopping with G3 did a good job of cutting back the damaged paint, however, in order to remove the swirl marks and hollogramming (caused by the harsher compound of the G3) I went back over the van again with some 3M Ultrafina SE, and a softer mop. It really made a difference, especially when the sun reflects off the surface of the dark paint...

Then my alloys turned up...

I had actually ordered wheels with an ET42 Offset to avoid any issues of clearance on the arches when lowered. The company actually sent me a set of ET35's. I stuck them on anyway, and was quite happy with the clearances (i'm unlikely to slam it), so i kept them.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well done on the van,looks nice example. i have the same van and painted both the grills on the front in silver, looks good and brightons up the front.
Nice one man! silver grilles eh, sounds pretty cool. Have you got a build thread or some piccies i can look at??

I was actually thinking about going for a black painted grille surround with badge-less (or blacked badge) grille, give it a bit of T5 facelift flavour...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looking realy good there bud,look forward to see what you are going to do next T:

nige :ILU:
Cheers nige. Doing it on a very tight budget for now, i'm currently in the process of designing a rock & roll bed and kitchen/storage unit, hopefully have them designed, built and installed before christmas (cash allowing :eek:). Just insulated the back, and looking at doing a full oil service and EGR blank this weekend, i'll get some pics up asap

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, I've had a busy weekend! So far i've done...

Vagcom diagnostics checks (and getting to know the software)
Oil change (actually did 2 oil changes using the 1st as a 'flush')
Oil filter
Gearbox Oil
Fuel / Air Filters
EGR removal & clean-up (couldnt believe how much gunk came out)
EGR Blanking plate, made by my own fair hand!
Short-Shift modification to gear linkage
Front suspension geometry (Camber & Tracking correction after lowering)
...and a few other bits and bobs.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Cheers EvilWil. No X-pack club eh, well maybe we should start one, I've seen a few others on here. Just been looking at your build pics, looking good! What made you choose that layout in the end?
Hi bigalz, the interior came about as we had a little Nissan van in New Zealand with the bed / sofa facing the SLD. My wife loved sitting and looking out of the van (and as she has to sit whilst I'm in the water, it only seemed fair). So we designed a similar layout.
I'll post some more pics at some point. Good luck with your build.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Got a few more pictures of my recent progress...

Stripped the boarding out of the back, removed the bulkhead and applied flashing tape to the pannels for a bit of extra soundproofing.

with a little help from the missus again...

Did the ceiling too in the end, Gave it a really good clean & de-grease and it went on pretty well so fingers crossed it stays there next summer...:eek:

A mate had some surplus insulation left over from his loft, so i'm using it as a temporary solution until I can afford to wrap the whole thing in TLX silve multi-foil (next year sometime)

Silve foil insulation in the roof...

I was surprised to find that some people dont insulate the floor, I found that the metal floor acts a big heat sink sapping heat from the van, and leaving the floor cold to the touch... I didnt want to lose much internal height so I decided to go for a good quality polyurethane foam carpet underlay, topped with some silver foil/bubble insulation. It also doubles up as a pretty good soundproofer!

For a bit of extra insulation, I also covered the back of the ply boards with some foil/bubble insulation...

with a little help from some mates...

I taped up the space blanket into a series 'cushions' cut to fit the pannels, then taped it in place before fitting the boarding. I decided condensation wouldnt be too much of an issue as its only gonna be in there for one winter and I have a dehumidifier to chuck in it every now and then too.

Next it was time to do some mechanical bits. I decided to give it a bit of TLC...

Oil change number 1...

Vagcom turned up so I plugged it in and had a fiddle. I've had a couple of minor electrical faults which it picked up. I also noticed a slight dicrepancy on the pump timing... all parameters look good apart from the duty cycle which is reading between 50 and 65%. Any ideas??

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.