VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I managed to blag a bit of workshop space over the weekend so I cracked on with a few more jobs...

1st job, EGR clean & blank...

making my blanking plate, using the gaskets as a template...

Orrible gunked up EGR...

Shiny clean EGR :) (took about an hour of scraping and washing to get it all shining)

Next job was to get the refine the gearchanging experience a little...

Standard gear linkage...

My modified 'Short-Shif' gear linkage...

It took a little getting used to when I first drove it, but what an improvement! Now I need to make a gear stick extension (when i get some more spare time)

Replaced the gearbox oil...

My Second engine oil change of the weekend, (dont fancy flushing much, just in case like) this time with a new filter as well.

Then the last job of the weekend, sorting out the front suspension geometry. I've set up tracking before, but never camber or castor. After having a poke around I found some really handy information on the forum.

I managed to borrow this piece of equipment from my Uncle, so i set to work measuring and calculating...

Sorted the camber first,

Then set the tracking last. Couldnt belive how far out it was, thank god i checked it all, tyres aint cheap! I'm actually gonna give it another check and fine tune next week, once the suspension has settled down again.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I'm gonna try and finish the design for my Rock n Roll bed this week. Having never actually seen (in the flesh) or used one, I'm relying on CAD and 3D modelling to resolve any potential issues... I just wanted to ask all the people out there if they have any particular criticisms or issues with thier own?? Really appreciate any feedback!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Got alot on at the moment so not made much progress recently. However, I've been adding 2 stoke oil to the diesel for the last couple of full tanks. I have to say, I've noticed a distinct improvement. I haven't measured fuel consumption yet, but It starts even better now, (it started almost immediately before, even on a frosty morning). The engine runs smoother, and its noticeably quieter. I'm not sure about performance but I will definitely continue to use it!!

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
would you explain how and why you put oil in your diesel? mine is a 2001 1.9 td and any improvements to the engine/running etc would be great, but total novice and trying
to take on board all this info.
thanks dawn:)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
would you explain how and why you put oil in your diesel? mine is a 2001 1.9 td and any improvements to the engine/running etc would be great, but total novice and trying
to take on board all this info.
thanks dawn:)
Hi Dawn. Look at it like a kind of fuel additive. Basically, it improves the lubricating properties of the fuel (which has become increasingly worse with lower sulphur diesel), burns better than diesel and helps to clean injectors/combustion chamber to boot. I use about 1:200 ratio, in the tank before i fill up. There's plenty on the web about it if you want to learn more... T:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Finally finished my bed design and bought my steel, now its off to the borrowed workshop space to knock it together. Here's a couple of pics for you...

Ive designed it to work on a roller slider system, I didnt fancy having to slide a frame in and out (forward/backward) so it cantilevers out at the front. Probably going to use a gas strut to help it back into seat position too...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Really enjoyed your thread so far.T:

Van looks great how low it is on the photoshop!!!!

Good luck with the bed build, designs look great.A:
Nice one man. Yea, I'd love to go that low but I dont think i could live with the ride... The Bed design took ALOT of fiddling n tweaking to get all the geometry etc right, I'm just praying that it all comes out as planned now! :eek:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Well, I've made a bit of progress. I've Spent the last couple of days f f f f-freezing my :* off in a workshop getting on with the bed and starting the kitchen. OOh, and my BB slides arrived! :)

So far i've cut the 2mm plate steel for the hinges, cut all the 25mm box section steel for the bed frames, and started cutting up the old table frame (25x50mm section) for the base. I'm going to learn how to weld tomorow with a bit of help from my uncle, and start getting it all together.

As i'm totally skint at the moment I'm using freebies and salvaged stuff wherever I can (hence the table frame) I've also manged to aquire some 12mm ply for the kitchen units too, but it was a little warped so I bought a sheet of 15mm moisture resistant mdf for the large front section, I'll use the ply for all the other smaller bits...

Shiny new slides...

hinge plates cut out

25mm steel cut ready to chamfer

Nice neat chamfered corners on the frame, didnt fancy any messy open ends...

I managed to get a bit of cutting done for the kitchen too. So far Ive got the MDF front and ply end sections cut out and shaped to match the van. Gonna try & get it together for a test-fit in the next couple of days.

Its great finally seeing things start to come together!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 · (Edited)
Been motoring around in the snow without any worries, and I havent been stuck once (yet lol)! I have, however, Witnessed plenty of muppets with absolutely no clue how to drive in these conditions causing all sorts of problems and jam-ups! :*

Popped into my local carpark on my way home this evening to 'test' the handbrake, I was quite surprised how well the van goes sideways LOL:

·
Registered
414 Posts
Hi again, just realised you also have the rock n roll bed tread. I would like to do the short-shift gear change mod - can you only buy it trade from VW or can i get it on Ebay for example? Good work on the van so far will be watching your thread, looks like you have good access to a workshop, was it a school one? Cheers Aaron

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Hi again, just realised you also have the rock n roll bed tread. I would like to do the short-shift gear change mod - can you only buy it trade from VW or can i get it on Ebay for example? Good work on the van so far will be watching your thread, looks like you have good access to a workshop, was it a school one? Cheers Aaron
Hi Aaron.

I have no idea if you can buy the short shift linkage, I just modified the existing one. Its pretty simple to be honest! Yea, i'm lucky with the workshop space, its a small garage that I know the owner of, (used to work in there when I was at school). Also managed to sneak in to the workshop at my uni for some wood cutting too T:

21 - 40 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.