VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has probably been covered before so many times.

I have gone through the forum and have read loads of articles about wheels and tyres, and had just got more and more confused although some of it has been useful.

I have had my van since 2003 and I have only ever had to change the rear tyres the front have been on for at least 55000 miles. I have a LWB 88 that has had a few engine mods, It has now come to the point that I am going to get new Alloy wheels as all the tyres need replacing.

The Van has been lowered 60mm front and rear, it has been like this for the last 3 years so the springs have settled.

In the near future I will be putting in full length kitchen / storage with Fridge, Sink & Cooker & Air blown Heater to go along with the pop top roof bed and double rock and roll seat bed below.

I am looking at the 8x18" Momo Strike Black Alloy Wheels fitted with Avon ZZ3 225/45/18 95Y RF. I have been told that that the wheels and tyres will be fine on my Van.

http://www.alloywheels.com/product....e=Volkswagen&Model=Transporter T4&strSize=18"

The maximum weight that I will be caring will only ever be 12 bikes, a combination of road and Cross Country (146kg) some luggage and perhaps an extra person or 2 in the rear seats, although this is like once every other year.

1st Question is will the wheels Fit the current set up. From what I have read there should not be any problem.

2nd Question. What sort of Mileage should I expect, Some people say as low as 6000 miles? I am hoping that this is not the case.....

These wheels will only be used for Summer use although it is when I use it most.
Thankfully I ride to work so the van sits on the drive 99% of week days.

I am a very careful driver and get around 722+ miles out of a tank of fuel cruising at 70mph although I do like to throw it around a little or give it a little boost every now and again.

I look forward to your reviews

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
I won't advise on the wheel and tyres, however what is the load rating of the wheels you intend to buy, they must be sufficient for the van weight regardless of what you carry.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have looked around on the Internet and I have contacted Momo Inport and I have found that the load rating is 650kg per wheel.

My Calculations for what I carry these should be more than adaquate for my needs.

What are your thoughts?

I know the official weight rating should be 750kg / 800kg per wheel to meet the 2890kg / 3000kg combined axel weight.

Cheers

1 - 3 of 3 Posts