VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the title says it all......

This is our new van, bought with the proceeds of the Bay sale and a bit of financial re-jiggling

Basically i've got 90 days til Easter (1st camp of the year) to get the following done

Cut the bulkhead out.

Get Reimo lowline pop up roof and bed fitted

Central locking and Thatcham alarm (to keep the insurance down)

insulate, line and re-carpet the interior (its carpeted but a bit rough so will be doing it properly.

Split charge 12v and 240v system

Camping interior

Rock n roll bed.

At the mo it looks like this inside

1st 4 weeks are out as thats how long the roof takes to order

I hope to fit in a weeks holiday at teh end of Feb to really get cracking on it, but i have the plans well sorted in my head but could be subject to change.

Stand by for action!!!!!!
:ILU::ILU:

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Last week i attacked the bulkhead with a grinding disc, chisel and lump hammer
Look at the room there!Took the panels off and gave the insides a good clean then a layer of sound insulation on the off side
and the nearside
next job is to use the other roll on the front arches and cab floor then crack on with the carpeting

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Well at the weekend my dear old mum set about the 2 seats i got off ebay with the carpet cleaner, a couple of sandy water changes later resulted in these

Nice!!OK so following the sound insulation, i needed some heat insulation, Celotex boards seems to be the preferred stuff, 25mm in the top half, 50mm in the bottom, all gaffer taped round the edges, gripfilled into place, then any gaps filled with a can of expanding foam

then cut off the excess foam bits, gaffer tape (man its good stuff) over it, and any holes that will be carpeted over (aparently if you dont, any air flowing through the bodywork will leave a dirty mark on the carpet)Then, after lunch i set about carpeting it!!Scrub the bare paint with a scourer to give a key for the spray glue to clag to and off we go...............the B pillar

C pillar was pretty straight forward, round the tailgate was a different matter......But came out well methinks!

Fed the EHU cable and wiring through the cavity above the window while i was on to save hassle later.Next job is round the top of the doors and then down the other side

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Last week.......
Fits and starts of work during last week and a weekend in work again so not huge progress, but progress none the less..I carpeted round the tailgate,
down the side

and the tricky part, around the window, which wasnt actually that bad to be fair, i did it in 4 strips rather than fannying around with a huge flap of carpet and trying to cut the window out. then the B pillar drivers side :)

Im well chuffed with the results, and have loads of glue and carpet left to do the ply panels etc.Had word on the roof which should be in the country any day now so i just need to wait for confimation before booking it in :)

This week.......
Done a bit of work carpeting the panels but i wont bore you with those, ill just post a pic when theyre fitted. While i was waiting for the glue to dry and avoiding blowing myself up, i fitted the split charge kit from raw components

A lot more "industrial" than the one i had in the bay, complete with fuses the size of mini mars bars!!
Saturday brought a clear but cold day so we cut the new ply for the floor because the old one had some damp issues and was generally a bit grotty. So the 14mm ply was cut, bolt holes lined up and sealed with some watered down PVA.While that was drying i cleaned the bare floor and found a few screw holes where an old floor had been self tappered through the metal, i filled these with welding seam sealer before glueing the floor insulation down
yes, its camping mats ;)Then down with the new ply

the plastic step had a bit of sealed ply put under it to raise it up to the right level

Next job is to get some stainless roofing bolts for the front two lashing points and get the flooring tiles down, ply panels on then the cannons forge bed should be ready :)

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
very nice, something I shall be doing to mine very soon A:

can I ask what carpet & floor insulation have you used and are the sound proof/insullation products from B&Q or similar

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
very nice, something I shall be doing to mine very soon A:

can I ask what carpet & floor insulation have you used and are the sound proof/insullation products from B&Q or similar
Walls are Celotex boards, not sure where you could get them, i reckon Wickes would be a good bet, mine were trade jobs :)

The sound insulation is flashing tape, the cheapest i found was www.toolstation.com
450mm rolls, one roll did all the panels and arches, theres a roll left to do the cab when i get round to it.

The blue foam on the floor are £3.99 camping mats from go outdoors I:
Carpet from T4 world :ILU:

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Walls are Celotex boards, not sure where you could get them, i reckon Wickes would be a good bet, mine were trade jobs :)

The sound insulation is flashing tape, the cheapest i found was www.toolstation.com
450mm rolls, one roll did all the panels and arches, theres a roll left to do the cab when i get round to it.

The blue foam on the floor are £3.99 camping mats from go outdoors I:
Carpet from T4 world :ILU:
cheers for that, very helpfull ta T:

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
looking good!!!:D

how hard was the bulk head to remove??? been looking at mine for ages wondering how and if i want to.....someone said about removing the seat belts:confused:
2 or 3 hrs work with a grinder. I took the seats out, and just masked around the belts so they didnt get damaged, although i had to take em out to carpet it and its not a huge job by any means.

All i did was cut round the edge of it with a cutting disk then whacked a masonary chisel in the gaps between the spot welds and prised them off with the help of the grinder again before cleaning em up.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Went up to worksop after work today to get this

Im impressed with the amount of room it leaves, even when in bed mode :)

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Against the clock last week, i countersunk the 2 front bolts into the floor then covered the rear arches with carpet

If i never see grey carpet and spray glue again, its too soon!Did a bit of jiggling about with the bed as it was too heavy to lift out of the van on my own, then layed the floor

Im quite impressed :)
Took it down to Torbay conversions on saturday gone for a Reimo roof and awning rail, 222miles on less than half a tank and doing the limit I: all the way. Im quite chuffed with that, would have taken a tank and a half in the Bay.
Im like a kid at christmas, i just want me van back!!!!

1 - 20 of 83 Posts