VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went down to my local tyre centre today to price up a set of low pro 18" tyres. The guy tried to sell me 4 92 extra load tyres saying they were ok for my van. He said that a 92 rated tyre with"extra load" on the wall would be the same as a 98 rated tyre. I'm not so sure. What do you think. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
432 Posts
I am running 92 extra load they are fine..... the extra load is something to do with the stregnth of the side walls

·
Premium Member
4,870 Posts
guys 92 xl or whatever is states is not a tyre that is rated enough for you van

I used to sell tyres in a former life .....

Last year i spoke to 2 insurance companies on the same subject and was told tyres must be correctly loaded rated for the van axle weight

97 is the lowest load raten for a T4

If you want to risk your insurnance being VOIDED in the event of an accident thats your call ..... your MOT people should not be passing your van with incorrectly rated tyres, over here i've had T4 up twice with 98 rated tyres no problem but MOT Centres are goverment run specialst places not a garage

..so 92 XL ..... computer says noooooo

:ILU:

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
A certain VW dealer I know of, and another, very highly respected T4 modifier, both fit 92 extra load tyres to T4s. I have had 97s on mine in the past, and the 92XLs now on there are lasting far better, and do not appear to have as much give in the sidewall.

I specifically asked the MOT tester (who is also a friend) about this and he suggested that the weight limit was still within tolerances although not ideal.

I guess you pays your money...

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It doe's seem to be 50/50 at the moment. Do you run your 92 extra load tyres at van pressure or mid 30psi car pressure

1 - 11 of 11 Posts