VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 374 Posts

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i thought it was about time i started a build thread for my van.

I bought it a month or 2 ago for £1000. Its a 1992 SWB twin slider.

Early in its life it was converted by a company called Advanced, into a minibus. At 18 years old im all im left with are damaged fiberglass bumpers (which i intend to keep), and 'a lot' of old dodgey wiring (which i dont intend to keep).

The van needs loads doing. I intend to replace both Sliding doors and the tailgate, the wings and arches need replacing/repairing, the interior needs sorting and finally a camper conversion.

So here we go. First off was sorting the brakes after failing its MOT. New Back plates, Discs, Pads, Cylinders, Shoes and some new brake pipe. Sorted. Still braking slightly uneven though but really dont want to have to buy a new caliper.

This is the van as i bought it

Dash stripped for cleaning. Replaced central locking as it didnt work, neither do the electric windows. One for another day though

The back of the van with the old ply. (might be selling eventually most of the interior trim)

The floor underneath the ply, Some welding to be done

gave it a bit of a clean but will sort it properly after the welding has been done

Started fitting a new floor.

I chose to use separate sections individually carpeted and screwed down so i can easily remove it to get the welding done and to insulate after that.

Another pic (notice the screen in the dash? Will detail this when its done)

Went to Vdubbinit with my mate and my dad. Matress in the back for my dad and me n my mate kipped in the front seats reclined and the arm rests down. Budget camping but loved it

Got a mint drivers side sliding door. had to elongate one of the holes but fitted perfectly

More pictures to come. started the head lining tody and hopefully will be on with the drivers door next week.

Encouragement greatly appreciated/needed lol. Taken on a lot more than i expected but its making steady progress

·
Registered
222 Posts
Wicked mate thats what its about getting stuck in and doing your thing sorted wont be long and the heads will be turning

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wicked mate thats what its about getting stuck in and doing your thing sorted wont be long and the heads will be turning

haha i hope so mate. Im just really bad for doing more than one job at once. shouldn't be touching the interior untill the body works done, but i love what a difference a bit of carpet makes. H:

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Making a nice job bud T:

I would'nt skimp on them brakes though, if there pulling either way they could lock up and turn yer round/over :eek:

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Making a nice job bud T:

I would'nt skimp on them brakes though, if there pulling either way they could lock up and turn yer round/over :eek:

I know, its on the to do list for next MOT. It passed but only just under the 25% thats accepted. I should be safe for now, its only the 2.4D, should never need to brake that hard I:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Looking good fella, just bought mine about three weeks ago, then my back went pop, so i've been in bed for 11 days now, doing my head in, really like the fact of a twin slider, i always thought it makes cooking easier being outside. well interested in the screen too, looking forward to reading about that. how easy was the dash to come out? looks like a nightmare for me to cope withH: keep up the inspiration for me, i'll be out there soon.... i hope.A:A:

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looking good fella, just bought mine about three weeks ago, then my back went pop, so i've been in bed for 11 days now, doing my head in, really like the fact of a twin slider, i always thought it makes cooking easier being outside. well interested in the screen too, looking forward to reading about that. how easy was the dash to come out? looks like a nightmare for me to cope withH: keep up the inspiration for me, i'll be out there soon.... i hope.A:A:
Sorry to hear about your back mate, sounds painful. The dash is easy to get out, steering wheel off, clocks out, glovebox out, then just look for screws down the sides of the dash, oh and one bolt under the bonnet. Best thing to do mate if youre unsure, lay out some paper and as you take things apart, tape them to the paper and jot down next to it where it goes. Give me a shout if you need any advice, had mine out 3 times now for different reasons lol

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
got a lot of admiration for you dude, I wouldnt take all that on:eek:

You know what's good though? You're bringing it back from the dead, it was on the edge and you're saving it, I always like to see threads like thisT:

Haha cheers mate, its a long way off but well worth it. Especially saving a twin slider lol

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Right, a little bit of an update.

Removed the surface rust on the bottom of the drivers door, turned out to be solid which is always a bonus. A few coats of primer and the inside sprayed the final color. im doing all the door shuts and other bits myself (thats a lie, my dad does the spraying lol) to save some money when i have it sprayed. this way i can just have the outside all done at once and not have to get a full color change inside and out.

Anyway, heres the door.

And the badge (bit of paint left in the gun lol)

Just had a few days in whitby with our lass so thought id put a few pics of the vans first proper outing aswell lol

Oh, and big thanks to Michael (palmerclassic) for some free bits i collected on our way home. Cheers mate.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good thread mate. About your brakes were the pads a loose fit in the calipers? My brakes were on the limit for left/right balance and when I checked them I found the pads seized into the caliper on one side
Cheers. Yeah, i put new pads in n they went on no problem. While i had the caliper off i found that there is a bit of a tight spot when sliding the caliper. It doesnt slide as freely as the other.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Loving your build thread nick, your bus is coming on now and I think it was a bargain for a grand, T: loving that tailgate infill, and also that rear captain seat looks like a recaro, I see its got twin sunroofs aswell, its a rare thing and its gonna make a nice bus when its finished,

see you on sunday if you're going to Harewood.

Mick.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Loving your build thread nick, your bus is coming on now and I think it was a bargain for a grand, T: loving that tailgate infill, and also that rear captain seat looks like a recaro, I see its got twin sunroofs aswell, its a rare thing and its gonna make a nice bus when its finished,

see you on sunday if you're going to Harewood.

Mick.
Cheers Mick, Ill give you a ring or a text let you know if i end up going. Keep checking back here, a lot more to come. Having all the holes and rust in the floor welded up for £100 which i think is pretty reasonable. Goin in wednesday for that so hoping to crack on with the insulating and lining once thats done.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Little bit of an update. No pictures though as ive been back in hospital with my heart (never good for a 22 year old eh) :(

Van went in on wednesday for the holes in the floor welding up and the big patch of rust you can see on the wheel arch in the back. Me and my dad cut all the rust and holes out with the grinder before it went in so it only took him an afternoon to do the welding. It was wednesday night i started with my chest pains again so its just been my dad making steady progress the rest of the week.

He gave the welding a coat of hammerite and its now ready for the floor to go back down. Were in two minds as to whether to paint the whole floor. It would make it look a lot fresher but its then going to be covered up with insulation, ply and carpet so is there much point??

My dads then been working on the tailgate i sourced. Not quite as good as i first thought, its going to need a little bit of filler but its a lot better than mine. Ill try and get some pictures tomorrow of my rotten tailgate.

Next wednesday im taking the van to the bloke who did the head gasket on my MG ZS so he can have a look at the oil AND diesel leaks. I know the leak off pipes (i think thats what theyre called) are rotten but by the size of the puddles im leaving on the road i think its going to be more than that. Will find out on wednesday :gl

Oh also, courtesy of the local free ads, i got a brilliant condition caravan awning for £35. I know its not drive away but for that money i couldnt resist. turns out its the exact length of the van and fits perfectly. I can tie it to my roof rack and it keeps it against the van. Result. Our lass has got a pic on her phone of a trial fit i did on my dads drive. Ill post it up later.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Sorry to hear about you ticker mate, :eek: take it easy fella, my back still not good, f~***g thing, so frustrating. don't rush yourself and it'll come good :D

If and when i tackle the dash i'll drop you a line if needed, thanks for the offer, good idea with the paper thing like it, simple but effective. all the best, and i'll check back soon.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Little bit of an update. No pictures though as ive been back in hospital with my heart (never good for a 22 year old eh) :(

Van went in on wednesday for the holes in the floor welding up and the big patch of rust you can see on the wheel arch in the back. Me and my dad cut all the rust and holes out with the grinder before it went in so it only took him an afternoon to do the welding. It was wednesday night i started with my chest pains again so its just been my dad making steady progress the rest of the week.

He gave the welding a coat of hammerite and its now ready for the floor to go back down. Were in two minds as to whether to paint the whole floor. It would make it look a lot fresher but its then going to be covered up with insulation, ply and carpet so is there much point??

My dads then been working on the tailgate i sourced. Not quite as good as i first thought, its going to need a little bit of filler but its a lot better than mine. Ill try and get some pictures tomorrow of my rotten tailgate.

Next wednesday im taking the van to the bloke who did the head gasket on my MG ZS so he can have a look at the oil AND diesel leaks. I know the leak off pipes (i think thats what theyre called) are rotten but by the size of the puddles im leaving on the road i think its going to be more than that. Will find out on wednesday :gl

Oh also, courtesy of the local free ads, i got a brilliant condition caravan awning for £35. I know its not drive away but for that money i couldnt resist. turns out its the exact length of the van and fits perfectly. I can tie it to my roof rack and it keeps it against the van. Result. Our lass has got a pic on her phone of a trial fit i did on my dads drive. Ill post it up later.
hope you get back on ya feet soon mate & most important the docs can sort you out for good
it must be a worrying time for you & ya family
take ya time mate & things will work out
get well soon buddy
Rick T:

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Loving your build thread so far - keep up the good work.

Might be a good idea to give the floor a good paint (even though it will be under the insulation/boards etc) as I've heard stories of vans rotting/rusting from the inside out due to condensation and moisture build-up (from cooking + sleeping)! :eek:
ya could paint it or as i did lather it in was oil,,theres 2 different once one is for the out side of the vehicle "Black" & tutha for the in side "golden"
i used the strong stuff black,,it smell for a week or so but it wont rust/rot thats for sure T:

1 - 20 of 374 Posts