VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So this is what I ended up with. Despite me actually wanting something with six seats, central locking, electric windows and properly carpeted........I got this.......

3 seats, manual windows, manual locking, barn doors don't unlock from the outside, heating doesn't work, really job of carpeting with not much insulation me thinks, and the barn door windows have been painted rather than tinted :*

I should add that I never done anything on this scale before, I am a moderately competent home mechanic if I have a set of instructions and the right tools. Never before done paint, bodywork, welding, carpeting, electrics..........this is going to be an interesting journey.

This is the very loose plan and numbered in order of how I am going to do it....

Jobs to do:

1, sort heater matrix - DONE!
2, leisure battery wiring up
2, ECB and external hook up
2, paint roof
2, paint body
2, change fixed driver rear window for a slider
2, gut the interior - new insulation, sound deadening, carpet, down lighters, speakers - DONE!
2, find a temporary 3 seat bench for the rear - DONE!
2, paint dash - DONE!
2, change dials / replace bulbs
2, fit roof spoiler
2, headlight loom - DONE!
2, erbspacher
2, full width r'n'r bed
2, vinyl the door cards
2, new wheels
2, sort minor oil leak - DONE!
2, replace front indicators and whole rear cluster - DONE!
2, remote central locking
2, pop up roof
2, replace front seats

This is the van

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I had no heat in the van, cables all fine, motor works fine, vent selector dial works fine just get no heat. Turns out the pipes connecting the matrix to the cooling system have been disconnected from the cooling system. I have been reading up about the heater matrix and how some people have used magic to remove it without removing the dash :confused: No idea how you manage to do that!

As I am going to paint the dash anyway (last owner did a properly cack job of it) I got cracking. Followed the step by step in the tech section T: and then got stuck. Turns out my van has a cold start lever that wasn't in the write up, a funny purple port on the switch bank and also dash speakers that needed disconnecting.

This is the purple port on the dash, located just under the hazard light switch and rear heated window switch it had a cover over it with a pic of an engine on? Is it an OBD port???

This is the cold start handle with the handle removed, pull the handle out then use a flathead screwdriver to prise off the small semi circular clip which allows you to unscrew the handle. Then you need to unscrew the collar holding it to the dash. You can just about make out two notches on it in this pic which are handy to get a screw driver on then give it a tap anti clockwise, unscrew it, push the rod back through dash and then lift dash off.

Once that was all done the dash came out :eek: 2 hours start to finish and that was with me lining up all the bits in the garage in the order they came out of the van.

No turning back now!

Matrix will be coming out in the next couple of days.

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks ghostvan.

Finally got a bit of time today to finish taking out the heater matrix. What an absolute bell end of a task.

This allen bolt is what hold the heater matrix housing to the body of the van. Its behind the heat shielding which is behind the manifolds. Space is very very tight and you need to come at it from the side underneath the expansion bottle. A complete cow of a job if you have big hands like me.

Even once that is removed the matrix and housing needs a good tug to come back from the windscreen far enough to get the damn matrix out without smashing the windscreen!!!

And this is the matrix once removed. I would say that is pretty nicky nacky noood

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So finally got the matrix out and heater box off.....yes I did it that way round like a pillock. Hint: its easier to take the matrix out if you take the heater box housing unit thing off first.

This is what greeted me in the bottom of the matrix housing box....wet, stinky and nasty.

So cleaned all that out and stuck this shiny new matrix in

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't think id have the nerve to do that mate, really wish you all the best with this project A:
I just went for it. I have limited mechanical skills but this forum has been absolutely amazing. I can honestly say that I would not have been able to do it without this place! :cheers

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dash back in place, still painting the vents etc. Will be doing door cards and pillar trim too over christmas.

I opted to go for a pearlescent black in the end and although its not as sparkly as I wanted I quite like it and it looks loads better than the hastily painted pos that it was in before.

Camera work is cr*p so it looks quite shiny but it does look good 'in the flesh'. Still tempted to give it a very light silver glitter blowover......maybe....although now I know I can take it out with relative ease, I might repaint it again in the summer I:

I forgot to take a pic of it in place before taking out and cleaning :(

One thing I would advise is to remember to reconnect the vacum pipe (if you have one) otherwise you may need to take the dash out again to reconnect it I:

Old (after cleaning and rubbing it down)

New

·
Registered
52 Posts
Nice work! I love watching builds by people that arent fully fledged mechanics.

if your first job is anything to go by everything it should turn out fine!

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well the plans to get loads done over the Christmas break turned to sh*t. Chest infection saw me confined to the house for pretty much all of the 10 days I had off work. Still not right now but back to work today :(

Will make an attempt to get rest of trim sprayed this week and refitted. Then the door cards. Then the cab floor. Then the sliding door, then the.......then....... :D

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Right then.

Got a few more odds and sods painted so dash not too far off being fully back in.

BUT

fitted the upgraded loom and bulbs from Upspex and they look great but I made a slight up and caught the socket ratchet thing on the body work while tightening the positive side of the battery :eek: A big spark, a bit of heat, me sh*tting myself and the van won't now start :( What a prat.

Turning the key in the ignition and all lights work on dash and go off as they should do but making the final turn that should crank the starter but I get absolutely nothing at all.

Battery is fine. 12.6v idle and 11.5 while turning key.
All fuses are fine.
Replaced the ignition switch.

Starter and solenoid are fairly recent items so I don't think its them but will try bridging direct to battery tomorrow to see if that helps.

Will also be testing the 102 relay tomorrow too.

Starting to learn that nothing is simple on these bloody vans.

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So, finally got to the bottom of the non starting issue. The ignition wire the the coil had corroded and was hanging on by the rubber coating on the side I couldn't see. I am sure I had checked this already!

Anyway, got that sorted with a new connection and now the van is up and running again. Walked the steering wheel back on and took it for a quick run and completely forgot that I had fixed the heater matrix!! Lovely and toasty and warm!

So chuffed that is now sorted it was starting to get me down. I can now get on with putting the dash back together - which incidentally I found out by virtue of tonights little trip that the pearlescent black I used to paint the dash is not a danger to my eyes at night :D

PROGRESS!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Great progress so far. It's good that you have a plan. It does help to do each job in order then the conversion will come apart again easily if the van gets crashed.
Here's a few pictures of my build which might help. There's more including the Eberspacher and front seat installs in my profile albums. Good luck and enjoy yourself :)

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for that info versoflex

I havent been able to get much done in a while due to real life getting in the way. being a grown up.

So here are a few things that I have achieved.

Found some green moss growing behind the grill on the wing :eek:

Put a big bloody dent in the sliding door courtesy of a low wall

Used some hammerite as a quick budget refresh on grills, wiper arms and door handles

Got it up for the first time since getting the van and its bloody massive!

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Bit more work done, stripped the back out as no sound proofing, carpeting and I do not like the chequered floor.

Kind of feels like going backwards but glad I did it and not tooooo fed up with what I found.....well apart from the shockingly bad arch repair :eek: Some previous owner very kindly stuck some ty insulation to the panels though T: And they also riveted the plywood panels to the van...wtaf!?

Brace your selves though, flash banding and insulating pics coming up in a few days....

First though, passed this little milestone recently

1 - 20 of 47 Posts