VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
sc vw customs 1.9tdi convert
17,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I would just like to add as this thread has been pulled back for over a year ago,that these wheels where done by someone on here,whilst i was in the process of finding a descent company which could supply this service to me on a business basis....these where done by someone claiming to be starting there own business,in which i gave him the chance to maybe get some work on a regular basis
Please note that i now have found that company local to me,who have been doing wheels for me for the last year or so,of which i am very happy with..

We now supply top quality banded steels

The moral of this story is only get banded steels done from reliable sources........

Do not use idiots on here or people who suggest that they know what they are doing...even though they charge £200 plus courier charge there and back at your cost...and then try and tell you that you are cheap and should of spent more money if you wanted a good job.....:eek:

I am a grand lighter after this lesson learned...
New steels
Tyres
Banding
Courier charges
Refurb and paint of my time
Correcting 2 wheels of higgys at banded steels.com and a cost of over £200 quid

After someone banding my steels in the wrong place and not being able to fit the tyres...selling a set to higgy who also could not fit the tyres,damaged a few and had to send back his nice painted rims...

I now have a set of banded steels that have been to and from the guy over and over...the wheels are now back with wleds everywhere,very badly and quickly done to try and recitifie his mistake......with a small amount of time and effort,they could of been put right correctly but obvisously this is too much to ask after recking 6 of someones brand new 16inch steels...:(

I have managed to tyre them today,seal the welds etc and get the 8.5j ones on my van....half a wheels worth of weights want balance them properly..:(...and when you drive along and look in the mirror,looks the wheel is about to full off...the lips have not been welded back on straight...wobble wobble wobble...

to be honest dont know how i am sat here writing of laughing about this as i cant sale these now and am hoping when i stick them on the front,the steering wheel is not shaking my hand off and the weights are enough to just to be drivable..

I have a 10j rear set to go on,but cant face even putting these on yet.....

How a banded steel should look...

How a banded steel should not look with the tyre mount in the worng.....Rasp:

Few on the van.....want be on here for long though...aint driving on these....time to scrap i feel and move on...

take a look want be on for long..after the hassle and the way the guy has redone them,dont think i can trust his welds or work on my van............:(

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Hi i have to agree with si on this the rims that he got me banded from bandedsteels.com were night and day compared to the first set of rims he sent me which were badly welded and 3 different tyre fitters couldnt get tyres on and even wrecked a couple
trying to get them on.so thanks si for standing by your word and sorting me out .

cheers
higgy

·
Banned
2,103 Posts
I no this may be bumb but can u just put banding around the outside like in pic 2 if done correctly or are wheels only to be banded from the middle , I'm confused as I seen lots of wheels made to deep dish type so they must be banded on the outside ?
I'm after getting some for my van but now I'm unsure what to look for

·
17,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi i have to agree with si on this the rims that he got me banded from bandedsteels.com were night and day compared to the first set of rims he sent me which were badly welded and 3 different tyre fitters couldnt get tyres on and even wrecked a couple
trying to get them on.so thanks si for standing by your word and sorting me out .

cheers
higgy
No probs mate.....had to sort it....you bought a set of rims and there was a problem.......simple...T:

mine now look like i have wheel trims on them,that have not been fitted properly....looking in the mirror,they look like they are egg shaped when spinning....:eek:...:D

had to take out shares with a weight company,and still could not balance them....:)

·
17,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I no this may be bumb but can u just put banding around the outside like in pic 2 if done correctly or are wheels only to be banded from the middle , I'm confused as I seen lots of wheels made to deep dish type so they must be banded on the outside ?
I'm after getting some for my van but now I'm unsure what to look for
no mate....where i have put the blue line shows the mount where you tyre sits into to put on the rim..this is now in the middle of the wheel....impossible to get a tyre on without ripping the bead...i am well versed on wheels and tyre fitting and so is my mate who runs his own mobile fitting business...we could not get any tyre on..nor could higgy at 3 tyre places and even ripped abead on a brand new tyre,trying to stretch it over....

the mounting for the tyre has to be kept at the top of the wheel....the wheel still has a dish,the 10j ones i have here have a 3 1/2 inch dish but the mount is still on the top of the wheel...

the 1st pic shows how a banded wheel should look...this is the only way it should look....fact...T:

·
jabby fingered, worn nubbed, ginger ninja
12,080 Posts
It's a definate case for trading standards buddy

Down a grand:eek:

·
Registered
8,002 Posts
As Mr Doodle and Meaty said......

Full refund plus expenses is in order or a call to trading standards !

Shocking lack of knowledge and ability went into making those garden ornaments :*

·
jabby fingered, worn nubbed, ginger ninja
12,080 Posts
They'd make half decent coffee table, just sling a bit of Perspex on the top:D

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
badtimes man!so many people give it the big un on banding steels,done this done that,its all bull!theres a guy on retro rides thats done a set on a girl i kinda knows lupo and there ok,but if it where me,id go banded steels.com all the way,im a fully coaded welder,fabricator,an yeah id ride on steels id made if i could get the correct hardend steel that they do,but i wouldnt make any for anyone without makin a good few sets first!is a shame some runts took ur money for a loda s h a t bud,so many t i t s out there!:(

·
17,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You would think so would'nt you....

really cant be bothered to try and deal with this guy via any means...i would of been happy even if he had spent a good amount of time putting them right and done a good job...which is possible to do..just not a easy fast job...

obviously was not willing to do that.......

imagin taking this to court and trying to explain to a maj judge about cutting wheels in half to go on your car to make them bigger,sure that would go down well...may even come off worse than i am now....

Apartently i am a cheap skate because i paid nearly £300 for someone to band my steels in his garage...which at the time of putting up his ad this was not stated...even stated that he had done wheels of the same size for a well known t4 parts supplier...

happy to chuck the :*ers in the bin or as neal stated plant up some carrots in them.....

·
Premium Member
3,400 Posts
Si, there are other people out there that can band steels, i had six done by Jamesp off retro rides and they are spot on, i did a lot of research beforehand and saw lots of his work. If you need a number pm me.

·
17,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
badtimes man!so many people give it the big un on banding steels,done this done that,its all bull!theres a guy on retro rides thats done a set on a girl i kinda knows lupo and there ok,but if it where me,id go banded steels.com all the way,im a fully coaded welder,fabricator,an yeah id ride on steels id made if i could get the correct hardend steel that they do,but i wouldnt make any for anyone without makin a good few sets first!is a shame some runts took ur money for a loda s h a t bud,so many t i t s out there!:(
mate to give him his due...the 1st ones where done well and the welds very good....looked spot on.....APART FROMT HE BAND BEING IN THE WRONG PLACE.....:D..

after a load of hassle he had them back and the job has done been to the same standard....absolute sh$te...looks like he cut them apart again after a night on the ...i could of cut them straighter with a hack saw....Rasp:

·
17,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Si, there are other people out there that can band steels, i had six done by Jamesp off retro rides and they are spot on, i did a lot of research beforehand and saw lots of his work. If you need a number pm me.
no mate done with the banded steels...

was only trying to help a guy out who had stated he was starting his own business....

stciking to me remO's....T:

·
Its about time I showed up
11,653 Posts
:(

Sorry to here this fella...

Gotta say though your Remo's are rare as fook and look the nuts on your van :ILU: Much much better than any steels (bands or not) :cool:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts