VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick question will my van pass mot with a bar fitted!!! Van is going into mot today and am in to minds to leave it on or take it off !!!

·
Registered
149 Posts
If it is type approved to meet eu directive then it is perfectly legal. If it hasn't been manufactured to the correct standards then it is illegal! I believe that applies to vehicles first registered after 2000??

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bought it off van style as a replacement a bar,van had,nt one fitted before,better go take it off then thanks for reply

·
Registered
265 Posts
Mine went through no probs...T: Didnt even cross my mind

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not two sure now!!! Have taken it off any way just in case!!! But don't want to put it back on incase it is illegal!! Any one have a pic of there's that pass,t on a t5 !!!!

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
From what i gather they are not supposed to be put on vehicles pre 2000 that did not come with them originaly but to be fair not really sure people give a damb about it as there are plenty around and that are passing mot etc the thing that put me off was a bit insurance hike rumour?

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
hmmmmm Interesting thread. ive got a bull bar that I'm about to fit to my van which is post 2000.

interesting to see what facts come of this.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Not been for MOT yet but they are not illegal, it is an A-bar not a bull-bar so there is a big difference, our insurance is aware of every single mod on our van as we all know it is very easy to get cheap insurance without telling them anything.....but cometh the hour when there is a accident then they will be all over your vehicle comparing what you actually declared....so be careful......

·
Premium Member
1,678 Posts
Any metal structure at the front of the vehicle must meet pedestrian impact protection standards from 2009 for that vehicle to gain EC type approval within the Europe.
Construction & Use regs have not been specifically updated for this however specific legisaltion has been passed.
Selling new parts intended to be fitted to a vehicle newer than 2009 can leave the seller / manufacturer liable to upto £20k fine @ 12months imprisonment (part of the UK legislation) as such a part is clearly in breach of pedestrian impact regs.

Any fitment on the front of a post 2009 vehicle A-bar/bull bar call it waht you like must pass pedestrian impact testing to gain EC type approval, a large steel bar at shin height will not meet these regs (for good reason)..

This is only a consturction & use & legal issue - @ not part of the MOT.

Insurer would rightly deem you liable for increased injuries if your bar hits a pedestrian regardless of age of vehicle, if not declared and your van >2009 you could find your insurance cancelled (except for liability to 3rd party) and end up with no payout for your damages.

VOSA roadside stop can also prohibit vehicles use if bars are fitted >2009..

Google has the answers..

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I had taken a bar off in case van failed mot,but after the info I got from u,s guys I put it back on and guess what she pass,t. So how I know my a bar is legal and above board with the law so I is a happy chappie thanks to all for the help/ info

1 - 20 of 20 Posts