Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey :)

I’m after a new ‘split charge setup’ ..

Needs to have..

Solar panel input
Battery to battery setup
Charges leisure battery when on mains hookup
*All automatic* no faffing around..

Be awesome to have just one box that everything connects to and is basically fit and forget.

Ctek seem to do something like this ...but not sure if it accepts ‘mains hookup/240v ‘ to charge when on a site?

Price...£££ ..??...I’d rather pay once for a hq item than have to add on bits and upgrade in the future.

Any advice?
Cheers guys! T:

·
Want Electrics? Go Wildebus!
8,251 Posts
Hey :)

I’m after a new ‘split charge setup’ ..

Needs to have..

Solar panel input
Battery to battery setup
Charges leisure battery when on mains hookup
*All automatic* no faffing around..

Be awesome to have just one box that everything connects to and is basically fit and forget.

Ctek seem to do something like this ...but not sure if it accepts ‘mains hookup/240v ‘ to charge when on a site?

Price...£££ ..??...I’d rather pay once for a hq item than have to add on bits and upgrade in the future.

Any advice?
Cheers guys! T:
There are quite a few Battery to Battery Chargers that incorporate Solar MPPT chargers. the new kid on the block seems to be the Aussie Redarc B2B. It is a very compact and robust unit. Martyn from Travelvolts.net can supply you with one of those.
There is a very neat British Product called the Power Integrator from Amperor Associates. That does split charging via a 25A B2B controller, upto 200w solar via an MPPT Controller and trickle charges the starter from solar. Excellent well priced all-in-one unit (I am a seller/installer of these).

A single unit that does split charging, solar and mains charging? Yup, you can get those. The Sargent EC328 (I think that is the mode!) will do that as well as providing multiple mains sockets via its built-in Consumer unit. I wouldn't suggest buying it as the solar is limited to 130W, the mains charger is basic and dumb and the split charger is awkward. It looks nice though :)

I would suggest go for a combined B2B/Solar Controller and a seperate mains charger is the best option. If you need 240V in the van, then add a seperate small consumer unit.

·
Special Rapporteur
10,080 Posts
The Sargent EC328 (I think that is the mode!) will do that as well as providing multiple mains sockets via its built-in Consumer unit. I wouldn't suggest buying it as the solar is limited to 130W, the mains charger is basic and dumb and the split charger is awkward. It looks nice though :)
That's right - the EC328 has a built-in solar regulator, and it's a dual-channel one which will charge both leisure and vehicle battery according to a pre-set ratio. But it's quite an old PWM-based design and as you say, limited to 10A max. Some professional converters still use it - for example Bilbos do, but they don't use the split charge or solar controller parts - they use a separate B2B charger with built-in solar, though they still use the multi-stage power supply in the EC328, as far as I can tell.

The EC328 does look nice, but I think it's best left for professional converters, who like it because Sargent can supply it and a complete wiring loom as a package, with no need for additional testing and approval after installation (something that's not important to a DIYer).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts