VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen a van local from a van sales place. It's a red Y reg 2.5TDi with 110,000 miles on it advertised at £3000 + VAT which I looked at a while ago. When I got to the place I was a bit dismayed to see the van not looking nice and shiny like the pictures but the paint was all oxidised and it was shoved behind a gate. It's been used as some kind of trade van possibly tyres or hydraulic fitting because it has some steel safe type cupboards in it.
Anyway it started with a jump start, as the battery was flat and seemed to run okay. It has electric windows and central locking fitted as an aftermarket I believe.

Pro's
Central locking
Electric windows
Decent price
Close by
3 month or 3000 mile warranty (parts and labour) on engine and gearbox
7 days free insurance
New exhaust back box

Con's
Oxidised red paint
No service history (although I saw an underbonnet sticker saying timing belt done at ~70,000 miles)
Stone chipped bonnet
Usual rust/blistered arches
Slight (IMO) blue smoke on start up

Now:
1) Garage said it was usual for a bit of smoke as it had been sat for a while and it would burn off. True or false?
2) HPI shows several mileage updates up until 2006. Sometimes of 1000 miles in a month and a half. No problems with this but suspicious as to why it was in garages so much in order for them to record the mileage. Am I being over cautious?
3) HPI showed nothing from 2006 where it had ~67,000 miles and then suddenly on 8/12/11, current mileage was logged at MOT? Worry or not?
4) HPI says 2 former keepers and last changed hands in 2006. Does this mean that the current garage is not recorded as a keeper and if so what have they done with it between 2006 and now? Suspicious or not?

I'm really after finding out if I'm being over cautious or not and if the van seems a decent deal or not. There doesn't seem to be much around for a similar price and I don't really want to travel miles and miles just to look at a van and be disappointed by someones false advertisement.

Thanks in advance for the answers.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I can help you with the ownership and HPI/Experian issues -
The report will generally show when the vehicle was valued (I'm in the trade and most reports show numerous logs as people shop around)
The garage won't have registered it to themselves, they will have notified DVLA it's in the trade by returning the v5 yellow slip!

The red oxidised paint is no real drama - mine is red (had it 2 weeks!) and was pretty much pink, spent 5 hours today with a mop and some G3, G10 and finesse it and it's now like a mirror. It did get 2 coats of high carny a content wax and 2 applications of stupa guard to seal it to make sure it doesn't happen again though.....lol

I have no real mechanical knowledge so can't help with the smoke, but mine has done 230k and does t smoke on start or under load?!

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It wasn't smoking excessively or even much but it was visible, which you don't generally see now as you used to.

When you say when the vehicle was valued, what exactly do you mean sorry? How is it valued in order to record the mileage? Or should I say in what way? I've never heard of an official valueing.

·
Registered
63 Posts
sorry iphone predictive text took over again, i used Supaguard! (there are better products out there but I had a couple of application kits lying around!)

When a motor trader/dealer values a vehicle in p/x we run it through HPI or usually experian to check for dodgy history, outstanding finance, accident history etc befor eputting a price on it. When we do this it records the search against the vehicle
Thats why the search has given you an intermittent history on the van, sometimes we see 10-15 searches earlier that day (gives us dealers a heads up that the guy or gal is wasting our time).

·
Registered
63 Posts
no worries, good luck with your search! I was really lucky in that i found one 3 miles away on eBay and got it for a pretty fair price!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts