VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
new to all this 'very new'not even got a van

just managed to talk the better half into changing her 06 plate diesel accord tourer for a t5and converting it hope im doing the right thing

ive been scouring the web for weeks and unsure on what model to get after the honda would like the 174bhp but have seen mixed reviews on the net

also she would need to use for the once weekley shopping trip so lwb or swb if my research is right 400mm bigger thats not a lot "is it" how dose it fare in a parking space
and do you gain much more space inside also pop up roofs and other bits and bobs seem more expensive to have fitted to a lwb

dose the van need to be insured as commercial ?
can i just swap my car policy ?
pop up roofs/rock n roll beds -best place to buy
so swb or lwb and which donkey

thanks in advance
mark

·
Registered
375 Posts
Mark,

Welcome to the forum. Yes your doing the right thing!

The 174 is deffo the one to go for if your used to a bit of power! I'll help with the bits I can but mine is a SWB and isn't and won't be a camper so can't assist there.

As for insurance some companies don't accept you car no claims on a van. So read the policy properly as I got caught out there. Just had to cancel the policy and go else where.

There are loads of websites about conversions in the trader bit (top right of the page) Also use the search function and you'll find loads on here that will help you in your quest.

Happy camping mate

Ryan

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
lots of info on insurance in the general section. some firms will insure vans on a normal personal non commercial as long as you assure them its not for hire,reward or business. e.g virgin, budget, direct line, egg

lwb is surprisingly longerthan a swb when you try to park it in tight spots- ask my wife!!
ive driven the 1.9s and the 2.5 130 - the lowest 1.9 was sluggish, higher 1.9 quite nice. 2.5 130bhp great on motorway ,never driven the 175

you need a good trawl on here!

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Hi,
I' had a SWB before and now a LWB, LWB is way better for space and living and has been surprisingly simple for day to day, it can be a little tight in supermarket carparks but no biggie. As for insurance if mine was insured as a van it would be £600 but as a camper it's £280 fully comp and I don't have any car no claims. I definitely wouldn't go back to a SWB.
Mine is a 1.9 102 and pulls well fully kitted up but i reckon the 130 would be the one to go for

1 - 5 of 5 Posts