VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
now that a few of you have lived with a t-drop for a while and there are a few more of them about on the forum...
do you really need to fully insulate them, floors, walls, roof?
is it really worth it, do they get too warm???
what ply wood have you/would you use?
is marine ply really necessary?
starting to draw up some plans and would like your input.
cheers, adam. :ILU:

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
now that a few of you have lived with a t-drop for a while and there are a few more of them about on the forum...
do you really need to fully insulate them, floors, walls, roof?
is it really worth it, do they get too warm???
what ply wood have you/would you use?
is marine ply really necessary?
starting to draw up some plans and would like your input.
mine is a manufactured one so cant answer many of them but yes they get hot and you deffo need some kind of roof vent or sunroof and mine dose not have an insulated floor just thin walls

mine has roof vent but i am going to raise the materess of the floor and stick a couple of vents in there too gets propper warm

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mine is a manufactured one so cant answer many of them but yes they get hot and you deffo need some kind of roof vent or sunroof and mine dose not have an insulated floor just thin walls

mine has roof vent but i am going to raise the materess of the floor and stick a couple of vents in there too gets propper warm
thanks for your reply. T:
been thinking about this alot and how often do we really go camping when its cold outside at night?
would i really need all that insulation???
and without insulation in the walls i would save on ply wood, needing only one skin on each wall.
hmmm, maybe someone with a home made one will be able to help me out??? :*
cheers, adam.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
When I built mine, I insulated everything!!I: Floor, ceiling and walls. TOOOOOOOO much.:eek:

I put a roof vent aswell, but could have done with more, the bloke that bought it off me, was going to put a couple of vents in the cupboard floor to allow circulation, just like 'iss' has said above.

'Webs', on here, built one, and from memory wasnt insulated and she used hers all the time.T:

Wood is a really good insulator anyway, so will retain a lot of heat without insulation!!!A:

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I built mine, I insulated everything!!I: Floor, ceiling and walls. TOOOOOOOO much.:eek:

I put a roof vent aswell, but could have done with more, the bloke that bought it off me, was going to put a couple of vents in the cupboard floor to allow circulation, just like 'iss' has said above.

'Webs', on here, built one, and from memory wasnt insulated and she used hers all the time.T:

Wood is a really good insulator anyway, so will retain a lot of heat without insulation!!!A:
thanks for info. T:

this is exactly what i was thinking.

so, decision made, single skin, no insulation, roof vent/ sun roof, pos low down air vent, job done!

cheers chaps. :ILU:

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
1.DO NOTbuy cheap ply wood, this is definately one of them times where you buy nice or buy twice.
2. Make a solid plan and stick to it
3. Make sure your chassis is completely finished before building.
4. Ensure you cut interior panels etc and put inside before doing the outside.
5. Get someone to help you, this is not like asking for directions.:D
6. Take your time when shaping and avoid sharp corners/bends.
7. Make your outside wall width 4ft, that way when you put the roof skins on the joint will be to the side rather than on top.
8. If in doubt get here and ask, if you want ill pm you my number. Im no expert but ive learnt a lot making mine.

This is my build, http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=142402

Good luck mate, i look forward to seeing it progress.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1.DO NOTbuy cheap ply wood, this is definately one of them times where you buy nice or buy twice.
2. Make a solid plan and stick to it
3. Make sure your chassis is completely finished before building.
4. Ensure you cut interior panels etc and put inside before doing the outside.
5. Get someone to help you, this is not like asking for directions.:D
6. Take your time when shaping and avoid sharp corners/bends.
7. Make your outside wall width 4ft, that way when you put the roof skins on the joint will be to the side rather than on top.
8. If in doubt get here and ask, if you want ill pm you my number. Im no expert but ive learnt a lot making mine.

This is my build, http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=142402

Good luck mate, i look forward to seeing it progress.
cheers bud. T:
this place is great, theres always someone willing to lend a hand when you need it. A:

i did actually read your whole thread not so long ago. cracking t-drop!
cant remember tho- did you use marine ply or wpb?
thanks for info,
adam. :ILU:
so did you use marine ply

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
WBP is what i used, you can get marine ply below 9mm i think and you aint bending that for all the tea in china. WBP is fine but get the good stuff, far eastern or malaysian ply i think its called. Ive got a tin of wood sealer sat in my garage from when i built mine which youre welcome to have for the same price i paid:D (im not posting it)

I forgot to put on last post make sure you check all your sheets of ply before you leave the shop or get home and find some have delaminated like happened to me.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah thought wpb would be fine, i'm a builder by trade so should get the good stuff for a reasonable price. :)
cheers for your help so far, i'm sure youll hear from me again soon tho! :D
just looking at trailers at the mo so might be a week or so yet.
adam. :ILU:

·
Registered
619 Posts
I used WPB but gave it a coat of primer a couple of coats of undercoat and at least 3 coats of exterior wood gloss, no water is gonna get through that. I insulated mine fully but did put a vent in, kids never complained about the heat. If you put a tight curve like I did on mine on the back get hold of a household steamer (or bigger if you can get one) this does help to bend it, and take your time dont force it!!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
If well ventilated, insulation is the best way in my opinion. Remember - insulation works both ways. I have used 30mm celotex working with the concept that this also reflects the heat during a hot summers day.
But make sure you have at least two air vent to increase air flow.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
If well ventilated, insulation is the best way in my opinion. Remember - insulation works both ways. I have used 30mm celotex working with the concept that this also reflects the heat during a hot summers day.
But make sure you have at least two air vent to increase air flow.
Good point. Ive used 25mm polystyrene on mine and at Beaulieu a couple of weeks ago at 4pm on Sunday my cider was still reasonably cold in my teardrop and it was about 30 degrees outside on the Sunday. As for ventilation ive got my sunroof and 2 12v computer fans that i need to wire in and connect to a vent so as to create air flow when its hot. (or at least thats my plan)

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Q; How do U arrange the ventilation? I saw underfloor vent mentioned. Do U build in ducts & fans?
Would U say that running overhead extraction fans would be a good choice? Or rather fans that continiously draw fresh air into the Teardrop & vent it (hot are rising) through the roof hatch?
Great topic BTW T:

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Q; How do U arrange the ventilation? I saw underfloor vent mentioned. Do U build in ducts & fans?
Would U say that running overhead extraction fans would be a good choice? Or rather fans that continiously draw fresh air into the Teardrop & vent it (hot are rising) through the roof hatch?
Great topic BTW T:
i would have thought that at least one, low-ish air vent and a "sun roof" or caravan roof vent would be ok.
the roof vent, as you say allowing the hot air to escape and the lower one drawing in fresh air.
its great being able to get input and info from people that have already finished these cool projects and then lived with them!

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Yeah
The issue with the lower one would be fi moist.
I see the point in getting a forced draft when towing (?), then U also have dirt & getting inside. So I recon U need a breathing membrane of some sort.... goretex springs to mind. Never seen this adressed though, so I ask (stupidly).
Some sort of bottom vent with a srew on lid oe is also an option, could be closed when towing or in rain.

So what du U TD-Builders do or say/think?? T:

·
Registered
44 Posts
I was lucky enough to pick up a really nice deck hatch cheap off the bay. For the lower vent, i am intending to fit a louvre vent on the outside with a hit or miss sliding closure on the inside.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts