VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning I said farewell to my much loved aircooled T3 Westy. I'd had it for 4 years and until quite recently never thought I'd sell it, but I was increasingly finding I wasn't using it due to the awful fuel economy (20 mpg) so a diesel T4 seems the way forward.

I'm kind of stuck on getting another Westfalia as the spec is pretty hard to beat but would listen to any other good options I have. I'm thinking that TDI is way to go but only have £12,000 in the budget (and that's pushing it), do you think it's realistic to get a good 'un, on reasonable miles with that? I'm only interested in SWB pop-tops - preferably not white!

Also wondering whether to do a T5 self build, but I don't think my budget will get me far with that idea.

Here's a pic of my old van - it definitely will be missed!

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
welcome along mate, 12k is a pretty healthy budget for a good camper.. i personally would go for a t4 over t5 but thats just me and other will disagree,, 20mpg cant have been easy to live with though, even my last 2.5tdi would pull out over 40mpg on a half decent run. ive owned a 1.9td as well and to be fair seemed a little thursty..... i bailed on owning two vehicles last summer sold my t4 and my bora highline and bought a caddy maxi to replace both

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That T3 is bloody gorgeous - you must be gutted :eek:
And £12000 will get you something pretty fantastic.
Was it not worth getting LPG fitted to the Westy...?
I agree it was pretty hot looking but was basically becoming an expensive drive ornament so needed to go. It also broke down in France during our summer hols this year which went some way to breaking my emotional attachment to it! (took 2 months and £800 to get back on the road)

I though long and hard about LPG but felt it would just be another thing that could go wrong and I'm not convinced that it's any good for the engine. If it was that good, surely car manufacturers would be fitting it as standard?

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I though long and hard about LPG but felt it would just be another thing that could go wrong and I'm not convinced that it's any good for the engine. If it was that good, surely car manufacturers would be fitting it as standard?
A very interesting point, why is it that you can't buy a factory LPG?

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Lovely looking Westy there mate. I would love one and I think is the only van I'd ever swap for my T4. Splits and Bays are just not practical enough for an only vehicle unfortunately but I think a diesel T3 would be OK. What about a Syncro Westy. What is the econonmy like on the diesel Boxers?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just get yourself a Westfalia T4 and your old one will soon become a dim and distant memory - such as http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volkswagen-Westfalia-California-T4-2-5TDI-VW-Campervan-/231039720268?pt=UK_Campers_Caravans_Motorhomes&hash=item35cb0a5b4c for example, or if you can't live with LHD then a UK RHD T4 Multivan and get a pop top fitted/kitchen unit would be ideal
I've seen that one on ebay. Been for sale all summer and they've put the price UP £1k this week?? Can't quite see the logic in that...

·
Registered
879 Posts
A very interesting point, why is it that you can't buy a factory LPG?
yep you can buy factory lpg's but the only ones i know off are ford transits with pertol n lpg, vauxhall corsa vans and of course the large ldv's have been doing it for years, but i know a few people with them and get nothing but trouble with em, mad eh. that t3 is lovely, with 12k i'd swap the lump for a scooby petrol, flat 4, loads of power and 35 mpg on the run, I'd swap my t4 for one with that conversion no probs:D

·
Registered
820 Posts
Go Westy T4. Just can't beat that german quality. Many of them over here seem to have the non-tdi engines, with all that extra westy weight you would really want the 2.5 engine. The one in the ebay link seems like a good one - I'm sure they would take an offer.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cheers for all the nice comments about my old van but please stop, you're making me regret selling it! :D

I think it will be a T4 Westy I go for, but I'm a bit of a fussy bugger and there don't seem to be that many for sale at the moment so could take some time. I've seen some I like the look of in Germany but I don't speak German and any emails I've sent have been universally ignored.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
290 Posts
I had two bespoke radiators custom made and, fitted them up alongside the two cills on my splitty panel van. Also two Kenlow fans with thermostats. Running a 2.2ltr Eco Tec 16v twin cam lump!! Absolutely flew :eek::cool:!! Cooling was never a problem. Alas, sold four weeks ago for 25 grand as He was becoming a driveway ornament too and, deserved better.....much better!!

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Wonder where the radiator is mounted on that van... I'd looked into the idea of engine transplants on mine but all would have involved cutting into the front to fit a radiator which was not going to happen. I doubt you would get enough cooling by putting the rad by the rear side vents.
Its underneathT:

Rewired a bay window couple of years back for a garage.

The customer had paid another garage for quite possibly the worst TD conversion ever, it was shocking.

Was in a second garage to be put right, where I did the wiring.

The rad was in the engine bay right above the exhaust box and acting as a massive heat soak with no air flow over it. Hd the worlds smallest leccy fan on it, was shocking.

The second garage mounted it in a custom made scoop horizontally under the van, improved it no end.T:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts