VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I've been lurking around for a while, but just paid our tenner.

We've recently owned a 1967 and then a 1965 splitscreen, but sold them. Big mistake, but we did make a few thousand in profit :D

We now want a more modern van, capable of doing continental distance driving in comfort and style.

So, we want to buy a van. You can be guaranteed we'll look after it like a member of the family.

Must haves:

- Diesel economy
- Late T4 SWB
- Windows in the back (Caravelle style)
- Be relatively unmolested
- Either have a camper conversion, or be cheap so we can do it
- Not too badly corroded

Nice-to-haves:

- Mild lowering and alloys
- Good but understated paint (ideally not white or with wild decals)
- Pop up roof
- If it is a camper, then narrow (or no) side units for a wider bed area)
- Pull-out awning
- Lift-up tailgate

Come on, sell me your van. Cash waiting, dry off-road parking, will send frequent photos.

Simon C
~~~~~~

·
Literally, white van man
4,072 Posts
T: Quite a reasonable list I thought, nowhere near as picky as mine (I STILL have no van though :()
Good luck with the huntingT:
Chris

·
Premium Member
6,095 Posts
Check out the adds section and auto trader or the many van centres T:

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
To get that full list in one go would be like winning the lottery

Could be worth while looking for just a Van and having it converted to your requirments

get it all done at one time
Then just get out there and ENJOY

Good luck
Andy

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the ideas and good wishes guys.

But isn't looking for a 'Golden Egg' okay if you've got the cash? I've got at least 2.5K waiting.....

Okay, a bit more than that.

What would a van of my gotta-have list cost anyway? (just so I can see if that Reimo roof, flake loaded 2-pack and 20-inch rims are worth it).

S
~

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay, lets say I've got 10K burning a hole in my pocket.

For that, I'd like to think the van could be a 'finished' camper on a decent base vehicle.

But, if I take off 3K for the pop top, 2K for the paint (say), that leaves me 5K for a base vehicle (not counting the internal conversion stuff which I can forget for the purposes of this discussion).

Anyone want to sell me their pride and joy as a base vehicle for 5K? Or am I way off here?

Or, I'm off down the Autotrader/eBay route, I'll be careful!

I'm pretty sold on the idea of a clean late 2.5TDi SWB T4 by the way.

Thanks

S
~

·
Literally, white van man
4,072 Posts
I'm looking for a donor Van, similar spec to you, when you try to marry up engine size (nevermind power) body style, seats, windows, body condition history and mileage (and if you have a respray colour is still important due to 'base colour?) you find less and less vans seem to fit the bill, I'm looking a very specific fit inside the van and know how much that will cost, the lowering and wheels have a rough budget and the power is negotiable, this leaves me with the 'van' budget and some spare cash for roof/respray.
Like you I want the whole fairytale base van, BUT it takes some finding :(
I think your budget of 5K ish is near enough to get the 'Van' you want, will you (or I) have enough cash left to kit it out as required is a diffrent matter ;)
The right van WILL eventually present itself, can YOU (or I) wait that long with the cash burning a hole in the preverbial pocket!
Good luck anyway:D

(hope I get mine first ;)LOL:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Hey Fatboy!

Where abouts are you located?

Where abouts are you looking?

How long you been looking?

There should be a thread dedicated to us 'Golden Egg' hunters

Split
~~~

·
Literally, white van man
4,072 Posts
:) Based in Yeovil, looking nationwide, also have the 'Man' at the garage looking too, he obviously has more contacts than me and so far has looked at a couple but 'not as described' so no van! I've been 'looking' for about a year, seriously looking with cash for about two months, I REALLY want a van, but will wait for the right one (however frustraiting it is!)
One word of advice, If you see 'THE' van, buy it there and then, I made the mistake of finding one, right engine and power, right body/ dooors etc, FSH and only 48k on the clock, rang up the dealer, sounded good BUT 4 weeks before my cash was available, sensible me ummed and ahrred all weekend then thought 'put it on the card, the money IS coming', I rang the dealer only to find out a fella walked in and bought it CASH 30 mins after I had put the Phone down! Gutted:(

I intend to keep the van a Long time as a camper so I think it's worth the wait, but it IS very frustraithing.
ChrisT:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts