VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Have seen the A8 drls fitted to some T5s, has anyone went & fitted HIDs to the projector lens ? If so how did you get around the 2 wiring systems of the light unit & the drl ballast system :*

PS i have trawlled & cant seem to find many drl posts :cool:

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
I recently fitted some angel eye caravelle style with low beam projectors.

Utter rubbish and it wasnt worth the hassle, the low beam projectors are passable but the rest is useless, so theyll be off the van again at some point.

I was thinking of trying a set of these next, or stripping down an original caravelle set and retrofitting bi-xenon projectors.

I had to modify the wiring for low and high beam coming from the oem single reflector be aware these might need the mod too, youll know if your low beam cuts out when you use high beam.

I did fit HID though and the principle is the same, I made all my own wiring for a battery direct feed via relay, though you can buy kits that are simple enough to fit. The relay is fixed beside the battery and both HID packs are in beside battery too, and I used 2 x 1m amp type extension cables to run the power feed for the bulb over to the right headlight, and I use the original low beam power connector to the left headlight to trigger the relay. Using Amp extensions allows keeping the relay, packs and wiring etc simple and compact sheltered in beside the battery.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-1-PAIR...602260?hash=item234ec841d4:g:ztgAAOSw7aBVJ9KB

·
Special Rapporteur
9,793 Posts
A HID kit will not be legal for UK road use in those fittings.

Since around 2004 headlamp fittings must be E marked to show if they can be used with gas discharge (HID, xenon) lamps - the marking should be either DC, DR, DCR or DC/R. But if it's designed for halogen bulbs then it won't be suitable for HID, because the shape of the light source is different.

If you want to know what types of retro-fitted HIDs are road legal in the UK, the Department for Transport tells you here:

http://webarchive.nationalarchives....ormation-sheets/aftermarket-hid-headlamps.pdf

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mindriot, thank you for the info, triffic the question wasn't legalities of the lights, i never said i was using them on the road T:
i did peruse the forum here before posting but never really got a nitty gritty definitive answer, thank you the legality info i'm not after T:

·
Special Rapporteur
9,793 Posts
The legality info is provided because there seems to be a widespread misunderstanding about HID kits.

There is generally no way that HID kits can be retrofitted here and remain road legal, unless OEM parts are used in exactly the same configuration as the OEM setup.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes i think you have said that before being legal/oem fit only but im not after a lecture, im after some fitting info, if you cant provide positive assistance don't reply to the post thank you :cool:

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
The legality info is provided because there seems to be a widespread misunderstanding about HID kits.

There is generally no way that HID kits can be retrofitted here and remain road legal, unless OEM parts are used in exactly the same configuration as the OEM setup.
Ah you seem to be one of those people that object to being dazzled by idiots with badly set up headlights, how very droll ?

I find nothing more enjoyable than having one of those prick$ driving around with their 'show use only' headlights. ?

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Can we not propogate the OEM nonsense.

As long as the kits are properly EU, CE etc marked, and as long as headlights are designed for HID then there is no problem under current MOT regs.

Properly aligned proper kit wont dazzle.

I too hate the dazzle morons, but thats mainly idiots with over powered kits, illegal colour temps or using the wrong bulb types in reflectors.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
all items ce marked and they are projectors not lens, if you don't have a reasonable answer to the wiring help don't clog the post Rasp:

·
Special Rapporteur
9,793 Posts
as long as headlights are designed for HID then there is no problem under current MOT regs.
That's the main problem - most are designed for halogen, not HID. The two are not interchangeable (despite what sellers of cheap Chinese HID kits try to tell you) because the shape of the light-emitting part is different. As I said above, if it's designed for HID then there should be an appropriate marking on the face (and by that I don't mean CE marked).

The rules for MOT are not the ones that are involved - it is the Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations, which are far more detailed than the guidance notes used in the MOT. The fact that an MOT tester may make no comment on an installation does NOT mean that it is legal.

I can be quite honest and open about my motivation for the comments - in my opinion, fitting HID kits are one of those selfish decisions that people make when they just want brighter headlights than everyone else, and don't care about the consequences. They may appear to be OK when they are clean and operating on the level, but they can cause massive amounts of dazzle when the glass gets dirty, and the lack of self-levelling is a real problem in hilly areas - especially for older people.

If you don't like me "clogging the posts" on this subject, then I suggest you contact one of the moderators and get them to tell me what I can and can't do here.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
That's the main problem - most are designed for halogen, not HID. The two are not interchangeable (despite what sellers of cheap Chinese HID kits try to tell you) because the shape of the light-emitting part is different. As I said above, if it's designed for HID then there should be an appropriate marking on the face (and by that I don't mean CE marked).

The rules for MOT are not the ones that are involved - it is the Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations, which are far more detailed than the guidance notes used in the MOT. The fact that an MOT tester may make no comment on an installation does NOT mean that it is legal.

I can be quite honest and open about my motivation for the comments - in my opinion, fitting HID kits are one of those selfish decisions that people make when they just want brighter headlights than everyone else, and don't care about the consequences. They may appear to be OK when they are clean and operating on the level, but they can cause massive amounts of dazzle when the glass gets dirty, and the lack of self-levelling is a real problem in hilly areas - especially for older people.

If you don't like me "clogging the posts" on this subject, then I suggest you contact one of the moderators and get them to tell me what I can and can't do here.
Well said.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts

Well said.

·
Registered
1 Posts
They could be legal if the output is under 2000 lumens and are correctly aligned with approved beam pattern, no need for self levelling or washers. The Amarok bixenons are like this...

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
use with projectors headlamps & leveling motors sure i can fit some washers via the water battle nerrrrrrrrrr Rasp:

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Look can we get off the soapboxes here.

Yes it is an idiot image thing for some, but its a considered decision for others.

I do a lot of miles on a weekly basis, more than most, I also go places most drivers dont including dark remote country roads far from any street illumination - my reasons for fitting is to try to improve vision for practical reasons especially with winter days drawing in, please try to think about other peoples considerations and needs before just branding everyone based on your own opinions.

·
Special Rapporteur
9,793 Posts
can we get off the soapboxes here........... based on your own opinions.
There's no soapbox. These are not opinions.

What I'm doing is pointing the OP at a reference document by the DfT that states that retrofitting HIDs into headlamps not designed specifically for them is not legal. That's the FACT that I'm highlighting.

Some people (possibly those that already have illegal lights fitted) won't like it, but I don't care about that.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Dont dodge, I meant your expressed agreement of the opinion people only retrofit for image reasons and lack of care or concern for others.

Youre right to point out some facts prior to that, however judging, or agreeing with others that judge all people who retroft negatively without knowing the real reasons is not really rational is it.

Some manufacturers are equally bad, I spend a lot of time on the roads, and some makes of new vehicles with oem kit are equally at fault, for example some range rovers and ford 4x4 can be very excessive for glare, and so many makes of car have terrible beam alignment generally, many french cars seem to be the worst offenders for this.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts