VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 03 x aa van. Now there are a couple of boxes still in the van, one under each seat?? any ideas!

Im also wondering how they got the hot water and if this is anything to do with the box under the passenger seat? i want to run hot water to the sink :)

·
Premium Member
2,561 Posts
The boxes contain all sorts of GPS and radio gubbins.
As for the hot water - it's just a live wire to the battery via the dash switch with the tap icon on it and an earth to the chassis.
Fill the tank up, turn the switch on and - Ta Daaaa! Hot H2O :D

·
Registered
734 Posts
As it happens, I've just finished sorting all mine out...
The box under the passenger seat was the modem for the laptop that was fitted in the glove box. You can simply pull out the plugs and remove the box. Would recommend leaving the wiring loom in place though and be careful as one of the wires is still live.
The box under the drivers seat marked Solid State is the control unit for the light bar on the roof, jump leads front and back, etc. It works in conjunction with the switch box which on my van was located down and right of the steering wheel.
I removed my Solid State jobber yesterday having already removed the hot water gizmo (now have single captain's passenger seat). Be careful though as it will also affect the internal flouro lights. The switch box has an etha net style plug which simply pulled out and the box removed; the wire is now tucked up out of the way under the dash. The only switch I needed was to control the flouro lights as the rest were now redundant. Some simple wiring from someone 'in the know' will be able to retain the use of your flouro lights for you and if you still require the hot water gizmo.
Good luck, hope this helps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts