VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am on the verge of buying a 1999 t4 2.5 auto petrol full window 5 seater Transporter for £3400 with 75000 on the clock but cant help but think there maybe a similar diesel out there with my name on?????

Are petrol autos really thirsty?
Whats the opinions in the whole petrol or diesel decision?
The diesel ones seem to be more expensive.

Any help kindly received.

(if I wasn't already bald I would be tearing my hair out!!)

FD:ILU:I:

·
Registered
11,100 Posts
personally i wouldnt have neither a petrol nor an auto as i prefer diesel,there has been a few threads on here with people looking for a replacement auto box as when they go it is expensive to repair,i know both 1.9 and 2.5 diesel boxes are prone to wear also but easier to source if this happens

the credit crunch has affected all areas and for your £3500 you should pick up a really good van with a few mods that would have been selling for £5000 this time last year
so its just a case of preference and if you look at a few vans the right one will jump out at you regardless of whats under the bonnet

·
Premium Member
5,208 Posts
Depends on your mileage really. If you don't do may miles then petrol may be the way to go as the vans are cheaper and of course petrol is cheaper. A petrol van means you wont be affected by the London LEZ like a diesel van is going to be ( if you ever drive in London that is).

Still prefer diesel myself though :D

·
Premium Member
10,679 Posts
love my petrol auto but whilst petrol is cheaper at the pump, you're at the pump far more often (about twice as often actually) so diesel is more economical.

that said, you can't beat the refined quiet and squirty oomph that the 2.5 petrol gives you.

horses for courses. :ILU:

·
Registered
682 Posts
2.5 petrol auto here too and I love it, however, I prefer petrols as I cannot stand the noise that diesels make. I came from a 1.9tdi Skoda Superb (VW Passat) and it was very fast, very economical and the racket did my head in, it was my one and only diesel but if I wasn't a sound engineer the noise might not bother me. If it doesn't bother you (and if you think there is a diesel with your name on it somewhere) petrol may be a mistake. I get between 300 and 350 miles per tank and average 24 mpg with a mix of town and motorway, mostly town, but I don't throttle it either. The auto and sound of the petrol makes me want to cruise rather than floor it anyway. There is always the option to lpg a petrol engine though in which case you are looking at approx 40+ (equivalent) to the gallon but an outlay of approx £1500 or more. It does put value on the van there is no doubt and after costing it out I could recover my outlay in approx 1 year at 10k a year.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Petrol, convert to run on LPG for about £900 ( I recovered it's cost in about 9 months) gives you Diesel like running costs with petrol smoothness and no tractor noise! :)

·
Registered
776 Posts
Sounds like a good buy!
I love my 2.5 Petrol Auto, it's smooth and relaxed, but I don't drive it much so the economy don't worry me , mind you the Mitsubishi Evo 7 I use for commuting uses more fuel!

Just get the Autobox oil changed !

Go for it!

·
Registered
682 Posts
Boswell, where did you get it done for £900? Gasure by any chance? I checked with approx 5 different lpg installers and only Gasure suggested the single point system for approx a grand, everyone else was quoting £1800 ish for a multipoint system and they all seemed suprised that anyone was still fitting single point. Which is yours and how is the performance?

·
Registered
682 Posts
I had the single point fitted by Gasure.
Have you been happy with it? I'm not joking, lpg installers literally burst out laughing when they heard the single point systems were still being used as they have moved on so much since then (apparently). Steve at Gasure reckoned only single point would work on my engine, everybody else said that was nonsense. I was happy to go to Gasure but this did make me a bit reluctant.

·
Registered
583 Posts
There is a noticeable difference in performance running on gas but it's not an issue unless you want to rev to 5500 rpm each gear change.
I've covered about 40000 + miles since conversion and I'm quite happy with it.

Funnily enough I'd thought recently about upgrading to the multi point so I'd be interested to know why multi point wouldnt work?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
She's mine all mine!!!
Bought her this morning.
Hoping to get involved in some meetings etc!
1999 2.5 petrol auto lwb full windows silver £3250 (plus my first purchase of £100 in the tank!! One of many I guess:eek:)
See how she goes then will look at an LPG conversion soon.
Thanks for all the responses!!:ILU:

·
Registered
682 Posts
Check through your maintenance records and see if you can find any mention of gearbox fluid change, if not, have it done. It will cost you £100 to £130 to have the fluid and filter replaced but so worth it. It's not a diy job I don't think. Most auto box nightmares are as a result of bad maintenance. As a 2.5 petrol auto owner may I welcome you to quiet cruising :ILU:

Last May I paid more than that for mine with higher miles and it was older so I reckon you got a good deal mate, well done.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Check through your maintenance records and see if you can find any mention of gearbox fluid change, if not, have it done. It will cost you £100 to £130 to have the fluid and filter replaced but so worth it. It's not a diy job I don't think. Most auto box nightmares are as a result of bad maintenance. As a 2.5 petrol auto owner may I welcome you to quiet cruising

Last May I paid more than that for mine with higher miles and it was older so I reckon you got a good deal mate, well done.
Thanks Sam hopefully she will do me proud!!

Have booked her in for a cam belt and full service including the gearbox as I think its always better to be safe than sorry!!

How is yours on fuel??

Just finding my feet.

RogerA::ILU:

Oops I Dub it again!!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Re Single point Gas. Most other suppliers will happily sell you a multipoint system at ~£1200 to £1800. Check out what Steve charges. I have a single point on my 2.0 Caravelle and it works well (25mpg)
I have had two cars fitted with single point a T25 and my current T4. The main reason for the use of the single point for me is that it is transferable if I change the vehich or the engine, I won't have to get heads drilled for the injectors for the multi point.

I asked about a gas system here in Sheffield and was quoted £1800.with no mention of the lube kit which Steve recomends. He has been part of Club 8090 for T25s since it started and probably knows more about lpg that many other fitters.

Hope this helps

Tony

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Re Single point Gas.
I have had two cars fitted with single point a T25 and my current T4. The main reason for the use of the single point for me is that it is transferable if I change the vehich or the engine, I won't have to get heads drilled for the injectors for the multi point.

I asked about a gas system here in Sheffield and was quoted £1800.with no mention of the lube kit which Steve recomends. He has been part of Club 8090 for T25s since it started and probably knows more about lpg that many other fitters.

Hope this helps

Tony

My little 1.8 petrol goes in with Steve at the end of this month. Single point again. I'll report back.

Everyone else I spoke to quoted much more- highest quote was for £2,400 :eek: total daftness

I'm interested in this lube kit though as I've heard of this before and that the top of the engine (valves etc.) can run a little dry (have I got that right?) creating early wear and tear.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Re the lube kit.

Talk to Steve at Gasure. He will probably recomend one but it's not a costly item when you think what it will save in terms of head work.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Re MPG on Gas
Just did a return trip of 327 miles on one tank of gas. 32MPG at steady speed on the moroway 60ish Gas at .529 ppl make it at about 60mpg against Diesel. I will be checking my figures on the next run!!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts